DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Cleaning > Cleaned Stainless Steel with green scouring pad.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 PM  
kenyabob

Default Cleaned Stainless Steel with green scouring pad.

In my haste, I cleaned day old spaghetti sauce off a stainless steel counter with a green scouring pad.

The surface was scratched previously, but in a uniform fashion. The spot I have now cleaned has circular abrasion marks that are noticeable from a distance and it's driving me nuts.

Is there any way to brush out my scouring pad marks undo my dumb move?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

KenyaBob:

Those Scotchbrite pads are also sold in a larger size format at companies listed under "Machine Shop Equipment & Supplies" in your yellow pages. Machine shops use them for polishing metal after machining it.

Your best bet would be to phone 3M Abrasive's 1-800 customer service number and ask to speak to someone knowledgeable about using these Scotchbrite pads for polishing metals. The green pad isn't their least abrasive pad, and I know they also make an "ultra fine" pad. These abrasive pads are also available in a round format for installing on a special pad holder that 3M makes for mounting in a hand grinder. The pad holder isn't cheap (it's about $40) but I believe you could use it and progressively finer abrasive round pads to polish out that dull spot.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:19 PM  
Con65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyabob View Post
In my haste, I cleaned day old spaghetti sauce off a stainless steel counter with a green scouring pad.

The surface was scratched previously, but in a uniform fashion. The spot I have now cleaned has circular abrasion marks that are noticeable from a distance and it's driving me nuts.

Is there any way to brush out my scouring pad marks undo my dumb move?
I had a similar problem when my wife cleaned a stainless steel sink. The sink had a sort of horizontal 'pattern' (not a clear shine). She had rubbed in a vertical pattern.

I used fine steel wool to rub over the problem area. It worked but was still a noticable area. I the end, I had to go over the whole side of the sink before it was not noticable.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:48 AM  
jimioc

use wet sandpaper on the pan - also work well on SS sinks

Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM  
suzib

Thanks for that snippet of information - I didn't think there would be answer to that problem... I'm going to sort out my stainless steel sink with your help guys.

[URL="http://www.lumbermart.ca"]Building supplies[/URL]
[URL="http://www.windowsplus.ca"]New windows[/URL]

Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 AM  
joecaption

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cleaning

Never ever us steel wool to clean a stainless stell anything. Any specks left behind will rust in just a few hours.
Wal-Mart- any boating supply or Automotive store sells stainless steel polish that's applyed with a damp clean rag.

Quick Reply