Mushrooms

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHalen

Reaction score
Hi,

Possessing minimal knowledge of DIY I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in , so apologies if it is inappropriate.

Small mushrooms have recently begun to appear in my kitchen in the angle between wall and ceiling. The flat is in a 3 storey block on the ground floor and there is a small hole in the roof of the block which is currently being repaired.

I have some photos of the offending fauna but my computer skills are on a similar level to my DIY so I would need instruction on how to upload.

Can anyone please advise me on what the mushrooms indicate and what I should do.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Alex

Hi,

Possessing minimal knowledge of DIY I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in , so apologies if it is inappropriate.

Small mushrooms have recently begun to appear in my kitchen in the angle between wall and ceiling. The flat is in a 3 storey block on the ground floor and there is a small hole in the roof of the block which is currently being repaired.

I have some photos of the offending fauna but my computer skills are on a similar level to my DIY so I would need instruction on how to upload.

Can anyone please advise me on what the mushrooms indicate and what I should do.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Alex

Hi Alex:

I'd think that the mushrooms indicate you have water problems from that hole in the roof. You may have had those problems for some time. The moisture has activated mold spores causing the mushrooms to grow. You may have other mold that might cause health problems.

If I were you I would get a qualified mold inspector or repair contractor quickly. I've lived in London so I know finding reliable people with those skills can be difficult.

ah thanks, do you think it will be alright once the leak has been stopped and the area dries?

ah thanks, do you think it will be alright once the leak has been stopped and the area dries?

Well, you can stop the leak, but that will not eliminate the mold problem. Even if you don't see the mushrooms anymore, the mold spores will remain.

I would be concerned if I were you. Mold can be serious stuff. It can cause major health problems. Just last year, the Health Department had to demolish an historical building in our area because a dangerous mold was present.

i will get someone in to have a look tmrw if its that serious.

do you think they will try and sell me more services than i require because to be honest i wouldnt know if they were trying to sell me unecessary extra work

Click the Post Reply button on this thread and it will open a reply form. You can upload a picture by clicking the "Manage Attachments" under the Additional Options below the reply box. A small window will open with an option to upload file from your computer or file from url. When you're done attaching the file, click the "Close this window" button. :)

Hope you can post some pics. ;)

If it does turn out to be caused by condensation, any idea how much it would cost to have an extractor fan installed?

i will get someone in to have a look tmrw if its that serious.

do you think they will try and sell me more services than i require because to be honest i wouldnt know if they were trying to sell me unecessary extra work

From how you described your flat, I'm assuming that there are other owner occupied flats in your building. I don't think that the moisture is limited to your flat.

1) I'd get the other residents involved.

2) Mold is serious, but probably not a panic situation. Take the time to find a reliable firm to evaluate your problem. I know that is difficult. In the US, I'd go to my local health or building department for advice. We also have independent building inspectors that will inspect a property before we purchase it. Expect to pay for advice.

3) Some people will try to take advantage of you and some will not. Recommendations from friends are a good way to find someone.

Hi,

Turns out the cause was the washing machine upstairs leaking. This has now been rectified and following many more hours of dripping, the leak has stopped.

What do I do now?
The mould cleaner told me that I needed to cut out a section of the plaster board above and use anti fungal sprays throughout the affected area of the cavity and joists as well as spraying the floor above.

Is this all necessary of should the problems disappear after the leak has been dealt with?

Do you own your flat or is this a rental? I think if you own, the neighbors homeowners insurance should pay to fix the damage or yours if they have no responsibility. If you rent I would contact the landlord and ask them to fix their ceiling.

I have seen insurance companies pay to fix water damage but not repair the source of the leak.

i would just clean the area dry it and get on with life

Hi,

Turns out the cause was the washing machine upstairs leaking. This has now been rectified and following many more hours of dripping, the leak has stopped.

What do I do now?
The mould cleaner told me that I needed to cut out a section of the plaster board above and use anti fungal sprays throughout the affected area of the cavity and joists as well as spraying the floor above.

Is this all necessary of should the problems disappear after the leak has been dealt with?

I don't believe that anyone can tell you if it is necessary without being on site to evaluate the problem.

Why would you trust the opinions of people you don't know on an internet forum who have not seen the situation instead of the person who examined the situation and you (probably) paid to give you advice?

If I pay someone to help me with a problem, I usually try to do what he tells me to do unless I have cause to distrust him.

Latest posts

Back