Angle grinder recommendations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion is that 4.5" angle grinders are super cheap at harbor freight. And on account of that I usually have 2 or 3 at a time. I just leave my most common wheels on them. Like a wire wheel and a flap disc and or the heavy abrasive disc. It saves tons of time not having to go and change the wheel every 5 min. since I will need to go back and forth
normally on most jobs I do. I just bring 2 or 3 and one of those heavy duty 3 outlet power splitters. When they burn up get a new one, keep a spare around, they are only like 15 bucks on sale at harbor freight.

Hey, Quattro, I'm Ray the Hammer. I would like to bring up something about grinders that no one has mentioned... comfort. I am a blacksmith, so I use my grinder more frequently than most people, and prefer a paddle or finger trigger. Grinders with thumb triggers (on the side) get a liitle uncomfortable after a while. Yes they lock, but the lock, which is usually just an indention, wears out pretty fast. All manufacturers make several variations on a theme, so go pick them up and hold,em like you would when working. I have 4", 4.5", and 7" grinders from several manufacturers. I don't have any issues with twist from torque with any of them, but then, I'm a pretty big guy. My girlfriend, however, isn't and she has no problems using any of them.
I use my 4.5" the most, and it seems that I'm able to find more accessories for it than the 4". I also work at The Home Depot, so I see most major brands going out the door at an equal clip.
I hope I've given you a little more insight... if you are going to use this tool a lot and for long stretches, comfort is a huge consideration.

Back