DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Can I install recessed lighting???

Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM  
reprosser
Infrequent User

One other comment about the recessed light fixtures.

Some are rated for having insulation over them - and others are not. Be sure to get the ones that match your situation.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:31 PM  
ohmy
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would recommend hiring an electrician. You don't want the thought of your home burning down hanging over your head. There are lots of DIYS projects that don't have that kind of risk.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

A month has passed and no OP!

Gone.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 PM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I plan on the same project.

Will replace a single overhead with 4 to 6 - can lights with 65 watt bulbs. Will use the remodel cans that can come into contact with insulation. Plan on coming off the original wire and wire along to each light. I have drywall so cutting openings should be ok, just a little dusty.

What would be the correct spacing for the lights to avoid shadows.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 PM  
KayEhm

If your home is truly that old and you have any reservations about getting this done right the first time I would really suggest hiring a company. I've done DIY projects before and it can be such a gamble... I'm actually looking to install recessed lighting in my kitchen as well, so I've been looking at companies in my area.. the guys at Balanced Electric seem on-point, I'm thinking of seeing what they can do for me.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:21 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I don't know if you can do this, your questions lead me to think you probably shouldn't do it yourself. If you do go the DIY route read up on wiring so you know how to safely make the connections, properly secure the wires, how to run the wires into the box, grounding and all the rest. At 40 years I'd expect drywall or possibly plaster board and plaster. Which isn't much harder than drywall to work with.

Here is a decent article on getting started when doing electrical. Read up on it before you tackle this as a project. It isn't rocket surgery but you can get killed or burn your house down if you do it wrong. http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec...ric/elec_1.htm

For light fixtures consider using these. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-5-in...0WHR/204732243 You won't need a can, and it will give you the same look. They can be installed with just a regular ceiling box.