DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Master bedroom placement near dining/living room

Old 04-11-2010, 06:50 PM  
EdieKay

Default Master bedroom placement near dining/living room

We're remodeling a rectangular ranch and are going to transform the (virtually) unused family room and small 4th bedroom into a master suite. My mental block is that this is the last section of the house and it's right beside the dining room/living room. (Those are going to be the open space type with the wall between ripped out.) For some reason I don't like the idea of coming out of the bedroom and right into the living area. I've designed a little 5'x5' cove (itsy, bitsy hall) where if you were standing facing it, you'd see shelves straight ahead, a blank wall to the right, and the bedroom door to the left (set back about 18 inches). Still, I can't figure out whether this will be okay. My significant other feels like it's a waste of 25 sq. ft.

Does anyone happen to have any photos or links to photos of the type of area I'm talking about...including a living room with the bedroom door right there, a little hallway leading to the master suite, etc.? I'd LOVE to get a good visual to help me settle this matter in my head.

Thanks much!

EdieKay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 10:45 PM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros

I'd take a look at some Detroit style or Chicago style bungalows from the 1920s. Many have the same type of layout you're talking about, but mostly with a bathroom and bedroom entrance right near the entrance of the living room\dining room. This is actually an alternate solution to her waste of space, and your non-walk in issue.

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 PM  
StorageShedSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdieKay View Post
For some reason I don't like the idea of coming out of the bedroom and right into the living area.
There's a possibility that you don't like the idea of this type of layout, because it's very common for apartments and large hotel rooms. It would make the place feel less like a home and more like somewhere you're staying.

I'm not sure I understand what the current idea layout of the house is, but I would generally assume that two walls of the bedroom would face the outside if it was in a corner of the house, the third would face the living room/dining room, and the last would face another area of the house. What is on the other side of the final wall?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM  
frozenstar

It's a bit hard to figure out or picture out what you like for the layout. But I agree on what StorageShedSmart said regarding the bedroom and living area.

Quick Reply