Question Regarding New house design modification?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manthanr

Reaction score
Photo of Room in Question: http://imgur.com/b9OEA.jpg
Room plan: http://imgur.com/QzhmF.jpg

My new home has a room with dimensions (12'x19.8') and I plan to use it as an entertainment centre of the house. My 52" LCD television unfortunately is too large to fit above the fireplace in it's current location, so we were planning on moving the fireplace to the opposite wall (as indicated by the photo). A frame will be constructed around the Fireplace to house the television.

I was wondering, would this adjustment look good, or would it completely alter the room's orientation for the worse? Another thing to note is that, the house is "open concept" which means that there is an overlook from the second floor towards the room.

Thank You,
Manthan

Is that a window near the fireplace? The one with color white.

Well how do you visualize it from the overlook at the second floor? Does it look bad if the fireplace will be moved on the other side of the wall?

Mhmm, there are two large windows on either side of the fireplace. One window above the fireplace. The onlook from the second floor is pointing towards the windows. :) I am terrible when it comes to interior designing so your opinion is appreciated

Thank You,
Manthan

I would make this recommendation...

Settle into the house for a bit before making big changes like this. Live in it a few months and see how you use the space. See where light falls and doesn't, take notice of how you move through the space. i would put the TV on a credenza along the wall where you are considering moving the fireplace. Don't even mount it to the wall (if that's what you were thinking).

Its easy to move furniture around and try some different positions before making a big change like moving a fireplace.

Even, if possible. Find a piece of furniture that can hold the TV up high, like it was mounted above the fireplace. See if you like it that high. Many don't.

Once you find a configuration you are comfortable with THEN, if necessary/desired, have the fireplace moved.

Why? I have found that you have all kinds of ideas about changes to spaces before you settle in, once in you maybe learn you like what you have or want to make different changes.

Good advice. The only thing is that, the house has yet to be build so at the moment I can rearrange the location of permanent fixtures such as the fireplace without spending any money. As soon as the house is built, such major changes will cost me quite a bit.

You have already got a lot of suggestions, you should consider all and find out appropriate one.But before taking any decision you must consult with some interior decorator to get the best ideas.

Good advice. The only thing is that, the house has yet to be build so at the moment I can rearrange the location of permanent fixtures such as the fireplace without spending any money. As soon as the house is built, such major changes will cost me quite a bit.

Ahh, yes, that wasn't clear.

If it were me - I would leave the fireplace where it is in the plan, put the TV where you are drawing the fireplace.

I would also consider putting in a passageway/door/french doors from library to the family room.

draw some potential furniture placement on your plan and see how it works.

Latest posts

Back