DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Brand new garage door won't open all the way

Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM  
eabrook2

Default Brand new garage door won't open all the way

Hello,
I am a first time poster on here, so my apologies if this thread is not in the right location. I did try to search for garage door help but, most of the threads involved repairing an older garage door opener.

We just purchased a brand new garage door opener for our house. It is a craftsmen 1/2 horse power belt drive. Install was going fine until we got to the opening and closing.

The garage door will close fine, and it will even open, except for maybe the last four inches. We have played with the up force and the limits but still no luck. The up force is actually all the way up on 9, which seems like it is high for a new garage door opener.

We have tried the old brackets from the old garage door to see if it would work if it was connected a different way, still puts it at about the same spot as far as opening.

The door seems balanced. When we open the garage door about half way, it will stay open. I guess the two main questions I have are:

1. Could this be the torsion springs wearing out?
2. Is it worth $70 to have a repair person come out after we have the thing all mounted (that's really the price we were quoted)
3. When checking the balance, is it only suppose to stay where you put it when the door is halfway? If the door is up all the way it will stay open, halfway point it stays open, but other positions it will fall.

Thanks for your help, we are first time home owners and are just realizing the joy of all the work that goes into a house! Sure we will be posting more later.
If a picture might help, I might be able to find post one if I can unpack/find the battery charger!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM  
eabrook2

Default Fixed

We got it fixed. Still wondering if there is a way to determine if your springs are starting to go bad. They look like they are sagging in the middle.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Sagging in the middle is typical.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 AM  
frozenstar

Well that's good to know that you have fixed the problem.

[I]“You can always get someone to love you, even if you have to [B]do it yourself[/B]”[/I]
[I][SIZE="1"][/URL][/SIZE][/I]

Quick Reply