Cracks in header

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsuwind

Reaction score
I built a header to install into a bearing wall so I could create a pass through in the wall. My header is a sandwich of 2 - 6ft sections of 2" x 12" with 1/2" plywood glued and nailed between them. I let the header sit for 24 hours before I installed it. I am now starting to see some horizontal cracks in one of the 2" x 12". When I installed it, the header fit really snuggly between the top of the jack studs and the top plate. I am wondering now if it fit too snug. Is cracking common or should I start over?

Minor checks and cracks are common in framing lumber. Can you post a pic?

How is the header nailed off to the king studs?

Do you have two jack studs on each end or only one?

There are 2 jack studs at each end. I nailed through the king stud into the ends of the header. I am now wondering if I used too many nails to assemble the header because the cracking seems to follow the rows of nails. There are 3 rows of nails on each side of the header, with 11-16d nails in each row.

Was the lumber really dry? It's surprising to me that a 2x12 would have cracked that way. Was this Southern Yellow Pine, or?

A pic my be helpful, but barring that if it looks as if the cracks are going to continue I'd replace it.

the plywood in wet lumber is a mistake the 2x 12 will shrink up to 1/4" and the plywood and glue won't let it settle. this is not a problem the cracks wont hurt anything. dont worry be happy.

Latest posts

Back