DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > transition question

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: placerville
Posts: 3
Default transition question

So i came across a lot of 24"x24"x3/4" travertine tile. I want to use it in the house but also have already purchased the snap in hard laminate hard wood floor. Do they made a transition from a 3/4" tile to the laminate which is a lot thinner?? I know I could build the whole sub floor up in the rest of the house where the tile isnt but that is way to much work for what its worth? Any ideas?

bwhit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM  
Emperor Penguin
Nestor_Kelebay's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,844
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Johnsonite makes hard rubber wedges exactly for this purpose. It's called the Johnsonite subfloor leveler system and it consists of strips of hard rubber all 4 feet long and 1 foot wide but with different thicknesses on each side, as follows:

LS-40 1/4 is 0 thickness on one side and 1/4 inch thick on the other.
LS-40 D is 0 thickness on one side and 3/8 inch thick on the other.
LS-40 E is 0 thickness on one side and 1/2 inch thick on the other.
LS-40 F is 0 thickness on one side and 1/8 inch thick on the other.
LS-40 G is 0 thickness on one side and 3/4 inch thick on the other.

So, imagine you want to run carpet up to your 3/4 inch thick travertine tile:

You could have an abrupt 1 foot wide transition by using an LS-40 E and have the top of the quarter inch thick carpet come flush with the top of the tile. You'd have to lay the tile, measure the carpet thickness and decide what transition to install beside the tile so that the carpet comes up flush with it.

Or, you could have an 6 foot wide transition by buying six LS-40 F's, and using from 1 to 5 shims of 1/8 inch thick material (like vinyl composition floor tiles) under each one.

And, anything in between.

Johnsonite is a manufacturer of rubber and vinyl flooring materials. They won't sell to you directly, but you can order their products from any flooring retailer in your area, or probably save a few bucks and order them online from places like this:

Subfloor Leveler System -
Nestor_Kelebay is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Tile to floor transition sandy2258 Flooring 2 09-28-2008 09:59 PM
Base & Shoe W/ Transition Pieces - Need Help!! 1simple Flooring 14 08-16-2008 08:08 AM
Base molding transition cocean Flooring 1 05-22-2008 07:09 PM
Transition pieces Outbacker Flooring 4 02-23-2008 10:17 AM
Help w/ Transition Molding Liberty Flooring 1 07-31-2007 07:38 PM