Adding a window fan to a bathroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svendster

Reaction score
Hi all

My bathroom has a vented window which is super drafty and gets cold during the winter. (See the attachment.)

I'd like to get rid of the draft but have ventilation, ideally without things getting too cold.

What are my options? Is there a particular type of window fan I would use? (For example, would something like this make sense? Electric Shutter Series Window Mount Ventilation Fans - Panasonic Middle East See attachment.) And could I just stick it where the vents currently are or would other changes be needed, as well?

The dimensions of the jamb are 23" x 15 1/3".

Thanks in advance.

Svend

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    763.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.57.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.57.01 PM.png
    660 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Welcome.
Well, the 1st question is, do you have an AFCI protected 240v, switched power supply in your bathroom?

Hi Snoonyb
I don't know whether it's 240v, but I think we have an AFCI outlet. This is about 8 feet from the window.
Thanks

IMG_0339.JPG

That's a typical, 120V GFCI and likely not switched.

The term "Middle East" from your link, is telling, in that expanding to Panasonic site will reveal the power requirements and a suggested switched diagram.

The term for your window configuration is, jalousie or louvered, and since the fan is basically a 9" X 9" you need a method, after you have an electrician install a safely switched 240V supply, to block the window, not obstructed by the fan, from air intrusion.

Panasonic offers several 120V models, ceiling mounted, which could be rather easily powered from your existing circuitry.

Thanks so much for the info, Snoonyb.

Sorry, I should've noted that I'm in the US. I just found the picture more relevant than others I came across since the window isn't very wide.

Thanks.

Your profile indicates you are in the Chicago area, and I understand that Panasonic markets world wide.

There are times when, the simplest solution, are not.

What’s above this bathroom? Another floor or an attic?
The bathroom I'm looking at the moment is on the 2nd floor. There's a low attic above, which is full of blown-in insulation.

The 1st floor bathroom is identical. I want to eventually fix this issue there, too.

Are you thinking about running something through the ceiling?

Thanks.

You can get Through-the-wall exhaust fans, if that is a project within the scope of appearance, time and effort you'd like to invest. Broan makes some. I've heard their 509S in person. It's reasonably quiet and has no vibration. Better looking grills than the one in the photo bleow are available.

Good fans will have a damper that blocks backflow of outside air, plus the one on the outside louvered cap.

Also available are kits that let you use the fan of you choosing. Mount it vertically on the wall and use the kit to go straight out of the outside wall. When mounting vertically, be certain that the inside damper flap will fall closed.

With either, be sure the duct tilts down a tiny bit so condensation rolls to the outdoors.

Paul

PS: If you want to ditch the jalousie window, an awning window should be an easy replacement. (I don't recommend Ply Gem. We replaced 2 jalousie with Ply Gem awning and have had nine warranty replacements in less than 2 years. Most arrived from the factory already defective- even one that never got clad.)

Awning windows are also available as sash kits. With those, you remove only the old panels and crank mechanism. The old frame stays in place and the new window slides in. You lose a bit of viewing area, but don't have to mess around with trim indoors or out.

Another option might be a short & wide slider.

Attachments

• Broan 509S.png
    Broan 509S.png
    366.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Broan Dimensions.png
    Broan Dimensions.png
    136 KB · Views: 0
You can get Through-the-wall exhaust fans, if that is a project within the scope of appearance, time and effort you'd like to invest. Broan makes some. I've heard their 509S in person. It's reasonably quiet and has no vibration. Better looking grills than the one in the photo bleow are available.

Good fans will have a damper that blocks backflow of outside air, plus the one on the outside louvered cap.

Also available are kits that let you use the fan of you choosing. Mount it vertically on the wall and use the kit to go straight out of the outside wall. When mounting vertically, be certain that the inside damper flap will fall closed.

With either, be sure the duct tilts down a tiny bit so condensation rolls to the outdoors.

Paul

PS: If you want to ditch the jalousie window, an awning window should be an easy replacement. (I don't recommend Ply Gem. We replaced 2 jalousie with Ply Gem awning and have had nine warranty replacements in less than 2 years. Most arrived from the factory already defective- even one that never got clad.)

Awning windows are also available as sash kits. With those, you remove only the old panels and crank mechanism. The old frame stays in place and the new window slides in. You lose a bit of viewing area, but don't have to mess around with trim indoors or out.

Another option might be a short & wide slider.
Yes, I’d put a fan in the wall before putting one in the window but through the attic is preferred.

Ruby and I replaced 7 old aluminum frame windows in our house. They were horrible. We ended up with Marvin casement style windows with fiberglass frames. We’re very happy with them.

IMG_6635.png

Last edited:
Back