any suggestions for gluing/attaching screw caps?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
Barn door. Originally I'd wanted to use the 1" dowels as the fasteners. I've never done that before and got cagey about it after doing some test attachments. So, I elected the steel carriage bolts with caps as pictured.
The overall 1" holes can be a little too loose to snugly hold the 1" caps, and the hole edges also can have some chewed spots. the caps are ~ .3" and flat on both sides.

There is no glue in the door anywhere at this point. I like that because it eases disassembly in order to "fix" things. In the future, I recognize, no matter how the caps are secured they'd likely be sacrificed in order to effect repairs.

I've thought about trad. wood glue, but the ooze may fill the gaps and become visible to outsiders. (I think, at this point, I'd rather have the (darker) gap, rather than yellow outlines -- and removing the glued caps could likely damage and/or make the holes even looser).

The caps go in right up against the screw ends. Aside from any load on the bolts there shouldn't be alot of flex. Can I use contact cement just between the screw top and the bullseye of the backside of the poplar cap?

or carefully, not using too much, glue that's not visible at the surface?

or? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3307sm.jpg
    IMG_3307sm.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 0
Back