Chainsaw oil

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I know there is oil specific for chainsaws. If I have opened, new engine oil that I want to get rid of, are there any grades or types (synthetic) that I should not use?

You can use what ever you want in summer use a heavier oil and in winter very light oil.

Regular motor oil should never be used, it's not tacky enough and will just sling off and do nothing but make a mess.

Are you using it for bar oil or crankcase oil?

Bar is is a lot thicker than any motor oil. Its a lot closer to a gear oil

Joe Caption mentioned motor oil slinging off. It sure does! The oil coats everything in front of, and under, the bar.
But, I've used it in a pinch. The oil sump empties a lot faster, so keep watch on it. Bar oil has tackifiers in it to help it cling.

A small bit of HyperLube added to the motor oil will increase tackiness quite a bit.

Sometimes one can find what is called "Way Oil" for less money than bar oil. It's for the ways of a machine tool, such as a lathe or vise.

Way oil has tenacious tackifiers in it and clings to bars, chains and sprocekts very well even when the parts get hot from working. (Discovered this by mistake when I ran out of bar oil and way oil was the only sticky oil I had.)

Paul
PS: Don't use used motor oil. It may have evil byproducts of combustion in it and will have at least some abrasives.

Joe Caption mentioned motor oil slinging off. It sure does! The oil coats everything in front of, and under, the bar.
But, I've used it in a pinch. The oil sump empties a lot faster, so keep watch on it. Bar oil has tackifiers in it to help it cling.

A small bit of HyperLube added to the motor oil will increase tackiness quite a bit.

Sometimes one can find what is called "Way Oil" for less money than bar oil. It's for the ways of a machine tool, such as a lathe or vise.

Way oil has tenacious tackifiers in it and clings to bars, chains and sprocekts very well even when the parts get hot from working. (Discovered this by mistake when I ran out of bar oil and way oil was the only sticky oil I had.)

Paul
PS: Don't use used motor oil. It may have evil byproducts of combustion in it and will have at least some abrasives.
I never use used oil. It is old partial containers from what I have used elsewhere.

That is why I am asking. Would be nice to take them and use them up.
If you'd like to use up your partials of oil in your chainsaw, you are very welcome to do so at our house. Heck, I'll even buy lunch!

We have a 22 foot and a 5 foot Taxus Cuspidata that need to be removed. I can't believe that the lowest quote is $550.00 without taking the tree stumps.

Back