Cleaning Furniture Made of New, Untreated Wood.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EroHomFix

Reaction score
Greetings.

Today, I received my new media console. It has “rustic” aesthetic. Solid, functional, a bit heavy and attractive. Looks good in my space. I like it. One question, though:

The interior is made of untreated wood. I started to clean the inside using just paper towels dampened with clear water. But, the white cloth quickly became covered in black. When I wiped the same spots the same way a second time, and a third, the cloth still turned relatively dark. I’m not sure what is darkening the cloth. Does untreated wood just naturally do this? Is it normal for it to stain cloth and anything else that rubs it or sits atop it—like, potentially, my electronic equipment?

The retailer I bought the console from told me the manufacturer advises users to clean it with nothing more than a damp cloth. So, chemicals, finishers or anything involving more than just water and a cloth is out.

Can I safely clean the untreated wood so it doesn’t stain items that come into contact with it? Or is that a characteristic that I’ll just have to work with (or around)?

Maybe I just need to go over the same areas several times...? I just don’t want to harm the wood.

The following info appears on the console’s product detail page. I think it helps as to what type of wood it is:

—Color: Natural honey brown/black
—Material: Solid Wood
Material Details: Reclaimed Pine, Hand-crafted of reclaimed pine wood and Iron
—Natural Variation Type: Wood Knots; Natural Wood Grain Color Variation

—Product Care: Do not use silicone based polishes / cleaners at any time. Dust surfaces gently with a feather duster then wipe gently with a slightly damp cloth / chamois. Do not allow liquids to remain in contact with the surface for extended periods.

—Main Wood Joinery Method: Tounge and Grove
Wood Species: Pine

I can’t find any information about the manufacturer’s contact information online; just detail pages about this product from different sites. The retailer, Perigold (Wayfair), said they don’t have contact information they can share with customers.

The piece is marketed as “Kosas Home Martine Solid Wood TV Stand.”

If I were concerned about things I placed inside I would line the shelves. They sell by the foot clear flexible plastic in most fabric stores in a variety of thickness. I have seen people with kids put it over the table cloth on dining room tables to protect the cloth and table. Cut it to fit and set your gear on top.

Back