Each nailhead visible on siding.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCTX-Taylor

Reaction score
Hi all,
My back patio was built about 8 years ago and this has been bothering me since day 1. I feel I have some time to address it now and would like some advice.
The patio is all exterior siding with pretty big nails. Each one is visible and I want them to disappear.
Can I just caulk over them and then paint, and if I do that, how long will it last? Besides caulk, what other options might I look into?
Thanks for looking and any comments and advice are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7125.jpeg
    IMG_7125.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7123.jpeg
    IMG_7123.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7122.jpeg
    IMG_7122.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
What is the siding material? If it is a wood product you can set the nails and fill the holes and repaint.

Siding is hardboard concrete panels.
James Hardie Products recommends just top nailing for cosmetic reasons where the nail heads are hidden under the strip above. They also have an alternate method of top nailing like you seem to have as some local codes may require it for high winds and tight siding.

I haven’t installed any of this type of siding. If the nails are flush or slightly below flush I would hit them with some painters caulk to fill them and then repaint. Hardie sells touch up color matching paint products for cut edges etc and you could try that if you don’t want to paint the whole surface.

If the nail heads are higher than the siding or the wrong nails (heads) were used it will be hard to caulk over them. maybe try setting one and see how it goes.

Others should be along with more experience with the product.

If your intention is to make those nailheads "invisible", then you may be disappointed. Even if you caulk over the nails, the texture will not match. And if you're not careful to make the caulk level - and work very cleanly, they may be more obvious. Try a couple in someplace mostly out of sight and see how you like the look.

I've had very, very good results with Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty over countersunk fasteners.

If mixing with water, it is good outside if it remains painted.
For extra waterproofing outside & for unpainted areas; instead of water I use 50:50 white vinegar and exterior PVA glue, such as Titebond II. The glue also stops rust flash from the nail head.

Dissolve the glue in the vinegar before mixing in the Durham's (a dry powder). For faster dry, skip the vinegar and mix the glue with water.

In the way back days, people would patch asbestos cement siding with plaster of Paris mixed with glue. Durham's is mostly plaster of Paris, talc and dextrin (Benefiber). Some silica, talc and colorant are added.

The Durham's with vinegar & glue takes longer to dry than when mixed with water, but gives more water resistance and more time for you to "draw" the wood grain in the patch.

I haven't had any pop outs or cracks over dozens of years exposure. It paints very well, too.

Paul

Back