Entry Door Handleset - 7-1/2 inches (7.5") Center-to-Center

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dclynds

Reaction score
Hello. I need to replace the handleset (and deadbolt) on my front door. All of the new handlesets I find are 8-13/32" inches (8.4") center-to-center. This means that I would need to drill a new, lower hole in my door, leaving the previous hole exposed. Does anyone know of hardware that come in a 7.5" center-to-center size so that I don't need to drill a new hole in my front door? I know some companies makes sets of adjustable length, but unfortunately, they all seem to be 8.4" on the short side...and I need 7.5".

20220327_140715_copy_784x1613.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome.
You may well need to decide which hole in the door you are willing to patch/eliminate; Entry Door Handlesets with 7 1/4 Inch CC Measurement

Here is a SCHLAGE installation Manuel, that suggests that 5.5" is standard; https://www.schlage.com/content/dam...ustom-handleset-installation-instructions.pdf
Thanks but I think you misunderstood. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am talking about the handleset center-to-center measurement, not the latch-to-deadbolt measurement. The SCHLAGE manual mention of the 5.5" standard is referring to the latch-to-deadbolt, not the handleset itself. See image below, pulled directly from the manual you referenced. I drew a green line to show the length I am talking about. Screenshot_20220327-160728_OneDrive.jpg

And this the reason that when I'm changing locusts for folks, and they want a match for an old lockset hole pattern, I tell them the same thing I told you, regarding the holes.

I also tell them the the simplest method is to install a sex screw and two finish washers, as opposed to filling staining and lacquering the door.

I’m not an expert on locks, but could you drill a new hole for the lower and then reuse the lower hardware from the old setup just to cover the unused hole. Just leave it as a dummy.

Hello. I need to replace the handleset (and deadbolt) on my front door. All of the new handlesets I find are 8-13/32" inches (8.4") center-to-center. This means that I would need to drill a new, lower hole in my door, leaving the previous hole exposed. Does anyone know of hardware that come in a 7.5" center-to-center size so that I don't need to drill a new hole in my front door? I know some companies makes sets of adjustable length, but unfortunately, they all seem to be 8.4" on the short side...and I need 7.5".

View attachment 27748
Hi there. Out of curiosity did you ever find a new door lock at the 7 inch size? I have a similar issue and came across this thread. Thanks in advance

the dimension you describe, from lock center to bottom of a pull handle (throughbolt), is called the throughbolt dimension. yes most seem to be above 8.25, but some manufacturers offer down to 7 or less. many offer adjustable bottom throughbolt position, via vertically sliding bolt hidden inside the bottm bolt cover as the base of the handle. the Schlage image you show above is exactly that, adjustable above and below 9", but that brand doesn't go as low as 7.25. almost every one of their models uses that same darned 9" throughbolt dimension. so no schalge for us. keep looking and search keywords 'adjustable throughbolt'.

Back