Fix cracks in skim coat?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whatmeworry

Reaction score
Got a small problem for my daughter and not sure whether to look at fixing of ignore?
This area has slab foundations more than most as it sets on almost solid limestone.
This wall is about four feet tall but slab foundation. I'm guessing a poured outer wall and slab poured inside that wall at floor level. Then they add a skim of mortor, concrete, etc to make it look better?
So on home inspections for selling the house, they find this cracking.
Not deep, not loose but due to the pattern, you do see it. Given time it usually comes off , called spalling.
Mid central Texas so no major cold but it does freeze most years.

This area is different for me and the question is whether to consider some form of repair to make it last or ignore? If repair, what and how?

Attachments

• foundation crack.jpg
    foundation crack.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
Scrape out, with the "V" end of a church-key, fill with sparkle, prime & paint.

If it is just in the cement parging I would be tempted to do nothing and just keep an eye on it.

PARGING? Good of you to mention this as it is not a term I knew before!
With the right word, I did some checking and looking online to get a better idea of what I have and now feel better about leaving it for later!
It is a cement type mix and not something which I can scrape or groove by hand so that is out.
But then it does look like I might want to do something to make it look better, even if not a real repair.
Sealing coat and paint may be the thing for me at this point. Thanks for the headup on what to call it!

Back