Fix for lifting wood floors...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbram

Reaction score
We have a wooden floor in our living room area. Certain parts of it are seriously creeky, which I am assuming it from slight lift.

Is there a way to fix this? What is the best way to fix this?

Many thanks in advance.

Squeaks can be caused by a number of problems. Typically, it is the subfloor has separated from the floor joist and the subfloor is riding up and down on the nails causing the squeaks. Do you have access from below? This is a product that I haven't used that claims to work on carpeted floors and hardwoods. You need to find the joists and screw through the floor and into the floor joist.

Squeak no more

If it is the hardwoods squeaking on the nails holding that down you could probably use the same screws.

Squeaks can be caused by a number of problems. Typically, it is the subfloor has separated from the floor joist and the subfloor is riding up and down on the nails causing the squeaks. Do you have access from below? This is a product that I haven't used that claims to work on carpeted floors and hardwoods. You need to find the joists and screw through the floor and into the floor joist.

Squeak no more

If it is the hardwoods squeaking on the nails holding that down you could probably use the same screws.

Thank you for the advice.

I am pretty sure it is concrete underneath. Tricky to tell as I think the room is half subfloor (old part) and half concrete (newer extension)....but I'm fairly certain all the creaky parts are on the concrete.

Can you post a picture or two? If it is over concrete I'd assume this is an engineered hardwood floor. That is a hardwood veneer wear layer over a plywood base versus solid hardwood. Is is a floating floor or glued down? If you pull the shoe molding in this area does the floor have room to expand and contract? They make an adhesive that can be injected into small holes drilled into the floor to secure it to the sub-floor. This is one such product.

Injectable epoxy

I once used injectable epoxy on my glue down Bruce hardwood floors, which were glued to the concrete. It worked great, but placing a heavy weight after the injection really helps with making the floor stable.

Can you post a picture or two? If it is over concrete I'd assume this is an engineered hardwood floor. That is a hardwood veneer wear layer over a plywood base versus solid hardwood. Is is a floating floor or glued down? If you pull the shoe molding in this area does the floor have room to expand and contract? They make an adhesive that can be injected into small holes drilled into the floor to secure it to the sub-floor. This is one such product.

Injectable epoxy

I will investigate.

Unfortunately, knowing the guy that renovated the property it could be basically anything (he could get cheaply), laid on top of anything (that he could get cheaply).

Many thanks for the advice.

I once used injectable epoxy on my glue down Bruce hardwood floors, which were glued to the concrete. It worked great, but placing a heavy weight after the injection really helps with making the floor stable.

Thanks for the tip!

Back