Fix Leaking Valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonardomr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The valve that goes to my washing machine is leaking when I open it. The leak comes from the black arrow in the image. I would like to know if the part circled in red is a nut that I can tighten to solve the problem. Note: I tried but that piece didn't move (maybe I need to apply more force assuming it's a nut?).

Image: https://ibb.co/6bYW14V
20240222_212424.jpg

Thanks.

Welcome.
I'm of the impression that, that is not a packing nut, and that after turning off the water, removing the handle and disassembling the valve, you'll likely find replaceable washers that have failed.

Welcome.
I'm of the impression that, that is not a packing nut, and that after turning off the water, removing the handle and disassembling the valve, you'll likely find replaceable washers that have failed.
Thanks. I opened it and there is a crack in the thread (see the yellow circle in the image). Could this cause a leak? I'll try changing the o-ring anyway.

20240223_165315.jpg

Interesting, that usually is the result of over tightening and the true fix would be in replacement. Were it I, I'd wrap some yellow teflonn tape a couple of times around and reassemble, as a temporary measure.

You could try, in addition to Snoonyb's suggestion of teflon tape, this:
Take the packing nut off.
Leave the "O" ring if it is on good shape. Replace it if it is hard or chipped.
Then wrap some graphite impregnated (not white) packing string wrapped around the stem above the "O" ring (below the large threads).

Next, put the packing nut on snugly, but not over tightened.

The idea is that the string will form a gasket and stop anything that leaks past the "O" ring.

If you have to replace the valve & don't wish to sweat a joint in the valve box, you can buy compression (wrench-on) valves. Search "hose bibb" for more choices. You will have to be able to pull up the copper tubing enough to cut below the solder trails. A 32 tooth hacksaw blade will do a good job.

Best of Luck! You'll get it leak free!
Paul

Back