Gravel walkway under clay soil

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow338

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently had the driveway done and I'm looking to put some gravel around it which will be used mainly for walking. The soil is clay (see pic) and it gets pretty muddy and messy under heavy rain.
Considering that, can you provide advice on how gravel should be lay and or if something else should be used to make sure the gravel does not sunk to much?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240310_162037.jpg
    20240310_162037.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Thanks. It is better for the fabric to be more or less permeable for this application? Also, which 'grill' are you referring to?
Google speak changed gravel to grill, and I didn't proof read it, HMMMM, ASSumptions, got me again.

Depending upon the coarseness of the aggregate, will determine the amount of water that will accumulate at the low point of the walkway, and the permeability of the fabric will also affective inherent swelling effect of the clay soils, from water.

Google speak changed gravel to grill, and I didn't proof read it, HMMMM, ASSumptions, got me again.

Depending upon the coarseness of the aggregate, will determine the amount of water that will accumulate at the low point of the walkway, and the permeability of the fabric will also affective inherent swelling effect of the clay soils, from water.
thanks!

Back