HELP? rain seeping in - exterior door.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jargey99

Reaction score
View attachment IMG_7526.mov
I guess thus is the right place to post?
When the rain + wind is right, I'm getting water seeping in under my garage side-door.
(see video & photos).
The weatherstripping seems to be all intact & I dont notice any wetness around the stripping. It appears to be just seeping in underneath the sill (right term?) as shown in the video. Any suggestions as to the cause + solution appreciated!
View attachment IMG_7526.mov

Attachments

• IMG_7527.jpeg
    IMG_7527.jpeg
    910.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7528.jpeg
    IMG_7528.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7529.jpeg
    IMG_7529.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well, it's likely the the caulking has failed, or omitted so, for a better perspective, step back about 5' and post a panoramic view of the exterior.

Thank you, and now starts the process of elimination.
Were it I, I would spray some water above the top and wait a couple of hrs to see if any water is present, than at the sides, than across the lower 1/4th of the door.

The door is designed as an "swing to the inside" type door. Turn it around!

Thank you, and now starts the process of elimination.
Were it I, I would spray some water above the top and wait a couple of hrs to see if any water is present, than at the sides, than across the lower 1/4th of the door.
I did try that....except I started at the bottom.
I noticed the water coming in after I got to the top, so I replaced the weatherstripping across the top. Thought I had it solved. But no...
I think I didn't wait long enough to check for seepage before I got the top.

Rain could be migrating down along each/either side of the door and then through where the jamb intersects the threshold. You might clean that area and apply some tub and tile caulk, which is easy to work with.

Your weatherstrip is integral to the jam, for aesthetics as well as fire rating, but if you are dissatisfied with the seal, you could try a nail on version.

No....Door swings out to the outside.
I think that perhaps what @Snoonyb and @havasu meant is that the door ought to swing to the inside. (I don't know myself so this is a WAG.)

Still, it was working ok and now it is not, it is likely something else is at fault. You might want to check the vinyl J-channel around the door as it might have cracked for some reason, or the caughing between it and the door separated. Since you mentioned the problem comes from the top check also that the white strip between the top of the door and the J-channel (on the outside) was the aluminum Z flashing (I believe that's what it is called) and not something else.

PS: If you check a video on how vinyl siding is installed around doors, you'll get additional info on all of the items that I mentioned.

Some garage doors are swing out, that door looks to me like it was designed to swing out. Swinging it out keeps you from swinging into the side of your car in a tight garage. Our side door swings in, but we rarely use it because of this issue. It looks like your threshold plate slopes into the garage, any chance you could adjust that to make it slope outside? When I install a new door in my basement project I bought a plastic threshold that went under the door to direct any water outside.

@havasu is right. That door is meant to swing inward. If you look at the threshold you can see that the way it is installed now, the threshold slopes toward the inside of the garage. It should slope toward the outside. That would keep the rain out.

threshold.jpg
Maybe just turn the threshold around?

@havasu is right. That door is meant to swing inward. If you look at the threshold you can see that the way it is installed now, the threshold slopes toward the inside of the garage. It should slope toward the outside. That would keep the rain out.

View attachment 31883
Maybe just turn the threshold around?
Maybe, before you post, you could review the 1st, of the lower 3 photos, in post #1, and explain, exactly, the steps involved in, "Maybe just turn the threshold around".

While the door is a preassembled unit, and is meant to be installed as either swing in, or swing out.

Maybe, before you post, you could review the 1st, of the lower 3 photos, in post #1,
Since I’ve already posted, I can’t do that.
and explain, exactly, the steps involved in, "Maybe just turn the threshold around".

While the door is a preassembled unit, and is meant to be installed as either swing in, or swing out.
I replaced a threshold last year, it’s not that hard.

1699666661145.jpeg

Since I’ve already posted, I can’t do that.

I replaced a threshold last year, it’s not that hard.

View attachment 31885

"Since I’ve already posted, I can’t do that."

That's interesting, since all post in a thread as sequential, and readily reviewable.

"I replaced a threshold last year, it’s not that hard."

So, in reviewing the photo's, posted in this thread, for reference, you have ascertained that the aluminum threshold, in those photos are, materially, the same as the wood threshold, in the photo you included?

"Since I’ve already posted, I can’t do that."

That's interesting, since all post in a thread as sequential, and readily reviewable.

"I replaced a threshold last year, it’s not that hard."

So, in reviewing the photo's, posted in this thread, for reference, you have ascertained that the aluminum threshold, in those photos are, materially, the same as the wood threshold, in the photo you included?
No, aluminum is not materially the same as wood although replacing a wood or aluminum threshold is not that much different.

Remember, this form is to help people, not prove you’re the smartest guy here.

Here’s a link showing how to replace an aluminum threshold.

Here

No, aluminum is not materially the same as wood although replacing a wood or aluminum threshold is not that much different.

Remember, this form is to help people, not prove you’re the smartest guy here.

Here’s a link showing how to replace an aluminum threshold.

Here
Once again please review the photos before posting.

Interestingly, the Link you posted did not address the condition that is displayed in the photos.

This is a close representation of the threshold on the subject door; Pemko 2006STC

From your post #12; "Maybe just turn the threshold around"

So, now that you've been enlightened, please
describe the steps in, reversing the threshold.

I see what you’re saying @Snoonyb.

I did look at the photos.

This 1st photo makes the threshold look pretty flat and even sloping the wrong way.

IMG_6307.jpeg
Which is why I interpreted the third photo as a shiny spot where the door was rubbing the threshold but I can see that it could be a raised stop as you say.

IMG_6313.jpeg

I saw an outward swinging door today that has a flat threshold.

IMG_6311.jpeg

This is how I interpreted photo #1

At this point, the OP needs to assess his situation and take appropriate actions.

Thank you.
My interest is not in being right, but in aiding folks in tried and true methods in the processes of elimination, in ascertaining probable cause, as well as potential actions necessary too correct.

You see, I'm not a master, of any trade, just a talented, self-taught, laborer, practiced in all the trades associated with residential const. in the LA basin.

Back