In the market for a Circular Saw

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People very much like Metabo HPT tools.
They have at least two different cordless circular saws from which to choose. I've used the 18 volt 6-1/2" and the 36 volt 7-1/4". They're sturdy tools.

Metabo-HPT (new name for Hitachi Tools) has what they call Multivolt tools. Those can use 18 or 36 volt batteries and a corded plug in case your batteries are charging.

Sometimes they offer incentives, such as the current extra battery promotion. Other times, it's buy one tool-get one tool free. My impact driver came with a lifetime warranty. (It's pretty destruction proof, as I've accidentally tested many times, including more than one 18 foot drop to concrete. Never a scratch.)

DeWalts died or fell apart so often at work, eventually I banned the guys from buying them with their tool allowance. But other people love them & have good success. I guess it's all in how hard you work the tool.

Note that Metabo HPT and Metabo are now two separate companies. The tools are not interchangeable. Metabo tools are very, very destruction proof. But expensive.

However, read all the literature, because there are some limitations; "The only limitation (aside from a cord) we see with the MultiVolt Adapter, it is not interchangeable with other Hitachi/Metabo HPT 18V cordless tools, whereas the 36V MultiVolt battery can be used with 18V cordless models."

However, read all the literature, because there are some limitations; "The only limitation (aside from a cord) we see with the MultiVolt Adapter, it is not interchangeable with other Hitachi/Metabo HPT 18V cordless tools, whereas the 36V MultiVolt battery can be used with 18V cordless models."

I don't see the cord as a limitation, I see it as the purpose. Its job is to let you keep working when all batteries are being charged.

Metabo-HPT's marketing literature makes battery stuff more confusing than it already is. Here it is in real-people language....
Eighteen-volt tools are compatible with:
The 18 volt battery
The 36/18 battery which will provide 5.0Ah in an 18 volt tool (Called Multivolt battery)
They are not compatible with the 36 volt battery or the MultiVolt plug-in-the-wall adapter.
The 18 volt batteries come in several different wattages (Ah capacity)

Thrity-six volt tools are compatible with:
The 36 volt battery
The 36/18 battery which will provide 2.5Ah in a 36 volt tool (Called Multivolt battery)
The plug-in-the-wall adapter (Also called Multivolt Adapter, even though it is for one, single voltage tool)

In Real Life- I have a Metabo HPT impact gun that drives well over 5 pounds of #9 x 2" Spax construction screws on an 18-volt, 2.0Ah battery. Charging takes about 20 minutes in moderate temperatures.

As the article stated, "we see with the MultiVolt Adapter, it is not interchangeable with other Hitachi/Metabo HPT 18V cordless tools", So, read the instruction, AND DO NOT USE THE ADAPTER WITH, ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE 36V TOOLS.

As the article stated, "we see with the MultiVolt Adapter, it is not interchangeable with other Hitachi/Metabo HPT 18V cordless tools", So, read the instruction, AND DO NOT USE THE ADAPTER WITH, ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE 36V TOOLS.
In my reply just above yours that's quoted here, the 8th line that is in the paragraph about the 18 volt tools says exactly that: "They are not compatible with the 36 volt battery or the MultiVolt plug-in-the-wall adapter."

Since the Metabo HPT tools come in only 18 and 36 volt...

PS: Just in case someone does not read the instructions, the plug-it-in-the-wall Multivolt adapter won't fit onto the 18 volt tool anyway. Kind of foolproof, huh? (The 18/36 battery will fit an 18 volt tool and is designed to be used in both 18 and 36 volt tools.)
Trust me. I use Metabo HPT tools.

Last edited:
In my reply just above yours that's quoted here, the 8th line that is in the paragraph about the 18 volt tools says exactly that: "They are not compatible with the 36 volt battery or the MultiVolt plug-in-the-wall adapter."

Since the Metabo HPT tools come in only 18 and 36 volt...

PS: Just in case someone does not read the instructions, the plug-it-in-the-wall Multivolt adapter won't fit onto the 18 volt tool anyway. Kind of foolproof, huh? (The 18/36 battery will fit an 18 volt tool and is designed to be used in both 18 and 36 volt tools.)
Trust me. I use Metabo HPT tools.
Post #41, "Those can use 18 or 36 volt batteries and a corded plug in case your batteries are charging."

Which DOES NOT NOTE THE EXCEPTION.

I have both HITACHI & METBO HPT, and they are price comparable to others.

You'll find another battery will be a lifesaver.

You'll find another battery will be a lifesaver.
Yup need 2 batteries. Seems like with lithium batteries they run the same then die suddenly vs the old batteries died gradually so you always had 1 more cut.

Regarding the cordless saws, how long will a fully charged battery hold its charge sitting unused?

Regarding the cordless saws, how long will a fully charged battery hold its charge sitting unused?

There are many types of lithium battery chemistries, each of which self-discharges at a different rate.

An automotive company's battery technology engineer told me that the type of lithium batteries used in power tools self-discharge at under 2% per month at 20 Degrees-C. (68-F) and 50% relative humidity. NiCD self-discharge faster. Lead-Acid self-discharge slower.

In real life, I have an 18 volt tool with lithium batteries that will go unused for a year or more and test less than 1 volt down. They're stored in the unheated basement.

Note that the internal resistance of lithium batteries goes up the colder it is. They won't run as long when cold as when warmer.

Lithium batteries are kind of easy to damage, so perhaps it's wise to find a legitimate article for proper battery charging and care. If Popular Science has one, that'd be one to trust.

Paul

Generally for users of both NICAD & LITHIUM, it's becomes a common practice to check the charge level of the battery, which is difficult on my 10yr old N, DEWALT, and where the L, are a mere push-button. I've found that the RIDGID, both N & L, seem to discharge faster when I've not removed them from the chargers upon the charge cycle completion.

IE, the learning curve.

Back