Laundry/basement floor void/crawling space insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serge1966

Reaction score
I am looking to review insulation in the laundry/basement floor void/crawling space in my DIY project to install drywall in our basement laundry in townhouse home.
The outer line on the diagram below is the whole basement and green rectangle is the laundry. The laundry is not finished and the rest of the basement is. Exterior basement walls are 1/2 (under the ground level) and 3 (above the ground)

Pic01.png
Since the laundry is unfinished yet, I have limited view of the insulation in the floor void/crawling space through the laundry top.
I marked with blue continuous line (#1 and others) the part where I see fiberglass paper faced insulation.
#2 is the area where this insulation is missing.
Dashed blue line (including #3) is where I can't see if the insulation is installed at all.
The issue with area #3 is I can't see if insulation is present there. I may want to get a stronger flashlight and see if it will help to see this side. But even if it will be found uninsulated, I don't see any practical way to reach out here to install one, since it is just floor joists and drywall for the basement ceiling.
Kind of same situation is with area #2, where I can see the insulation is missing, but I am not sure if I will be able to reach out to do the install.

Potentially important information is there are some CPVC water supply pipes at the top of the laundry room, which will be contained inside of the new floor void/crawling space. This winter our neighbor had their water supply pipes frozen and broken. They have their laundry finished and those pipes cracked at the top segments. I know when the plumber came, he was not able to clearly explain why this happened. They replaced like 5 pieces of piping. The way the plumber explained it to me later is that their vertical segment, adjacent to the wall in area #1, was behind the drywall and was not properly insulated, and in our basement this vertical segment is in front. But I've been there and I know the leak was from the ceiling, not from the side. The other contributing factor he named was very old pressure reducing valve, which passed higher water pressure.

So I wanted to focus on area "2". If I look from point A:

Pic02.png
It looks like this:
IMG_20230219_203554_HDR.jpg

I don't believe I will be able to fit in there and crawl to reach area 2.
So the only other option I see would be to temporarily remove a piece of drywall in the ceiling in area B, install insulation and then reinstall the removed piece. Does it sound a good approach?

Back