Liquid Nails

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertRider

Reaction score
My wife wanted me to build some decorative planter boxes along the front entrance... I used some Pressure Treated 2x4 for the base, and used Liquid Nails compound to secure the 2x4 to the concrete. I got called away for a couple days, and when I came back, I found the 2x4’s were not attached to the concrete at all... the Liquid Nails had dried out and turned to powder...

Did I get a bad tube? Or was there some interaction between the concrete and the chemicals in the wood?

Attachments

• 86019406-A269-4BF8-9D8C-2510BAAF346D.jpeg
    86019406-A269-4BF8-9D8C-2510BAAF346D.jpeg
    817.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 41B8615C-38C6-4475-9E85-47F71F595CFB.jpeg
    41B8615C-38C6-4475-9E85-47F71F595CFB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Do you know which type of Liquid Nails you used? Several of their formulas aren't meant for use on concrete or brick, although I've never seen it turn into a powder. Fuze it Max or Heavy Duty seem to be recommended for that type of application. Liquid Nails has a nice product summary here to find the right type of adhesive.

Also, looking at your pictures, that concrete looks really new. Has it fully cured? If not, that could be contributing to the bonding issue.

Do you know which type of Liquid Nails you used? Several of their formulas aren't meant for use on concrete or brick, although I've never seen it turn into a powder. Fuze it Max or Heavy Duty seem to be recommended for that type of application. Liquid Nails has a nice product summary here to find the right type of adhesive.

Also, looking at your pictures, that concrete looks really new. Has it fully cured? If not, that could be contributing to the bonding issue.

The concrete is about a year old, and as far as the type of Liquid Nails, I’ve already pitched the tube, but it was a blue tube marked “Heavy Duty” and it did say “Concrete” on the tube... I bought it at Lowe’s so it shouldn’t be out of date, I would think.... Anyway I resolved the issue by picking up a couple tubes of LOCTITE’s Power Grab Ultimate... that worked great.

Thanks for the response and suggestions

Back