Moisture through old mortar, onto steel beam and rotting a joist

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My house (1940s) is brick on frame in Pennsylvania and has a small concrete porch that partially overlaps the ceiling of the one car garage. There are pavers on the back slab porch that have been trapping moisture against the old brick and river sand mortar; I am removing the pavers so that the area dries appropriately. That moisture has rotted the first member of a double joist that runs alongside the slab - pics 1 and 2. The slab is supported by a steel beam - pic 3. The remainder of the ceiling is covered by 1/2" of concrete/stucco that abuts the steel beam and causing some corrosion - pic 4.

I want to (1) replace the ceiling with an appropriate fire rated ceiling - it is under my kitchen, and (2) remove the rust from the beam and paint it.

My questions:
  1. What is the best way to treat the rotted joist? Is it sufficient to sister it on the side away from the slab?
  2. How do I allow the moisture to leave the slab while still covering the area with drywall to achieve an appropriate fire rating?
  3. Is it worthwhile to drop the garage door rails and opener, tear out the concrete ceiling, insulate the ceiling (kitchen floor), and replace it with fire-X drywall?
As always thank you for your input and please move this to another subforum if it is more appropriate.
Pics

Back