mold or mildew on horsehair plaster in closet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56althea

Reaction score
hi all I'm a renter trying to find a solution for cleaning an area of smelly "something" on the walls and ceiling in a closet from water leaks- It smells more like mildew to me than mold (I've got mold under my tub, that smells like dirt only worse) it's grayish

I can't rely on the landlord, don't even get me started on that! can't move to another place

Just want to get rid of the stench in my closet

Water is coming into my 3rd floor apt from a failing roof and other exterior structures (eventually code enforcement will compel the owner to address those issues)

BUT I know what's happened in my closet will fall to me to address

in the past, I have cleaned non porous surfaces that were moldy or had possible mildew with TSP or bleach solution and they applied a Kilz sealant of some kind or a basecoat

but this a horsehair plaster ceiling and wall and there is water damage that is at a min 4 yrs old. I can try to get a photo of it if that might help

Not sure I want to use bleach because it's such a small enclosed space.

any tips or tricks welcomed
thanks

Last edited:
Untill the source of the moisture is resolved you will be forever dealing with the mold or mildew issues. Get the owners attention and show them the issues.

Untill the source of the moisture is resolved you will be forever dealing with the mold or mildew issues. Get the owners attention and show them the issues.

the owner has been aware of the problem for over a year now and has chosen not to address it. Now a housing agency is involved, but he continues to drag his feet.
In the meantime I need to make my home as livable as I can.

Last night I tried spraying 100% distilled white vinegar on the gray areas in the closet and it did reduce the odor, thank goodness.
I was afraid I'd need to use bleach and in a small enclosed space that would not have been fun.

Back