Most effective way to move rock into crawl space to build french drains?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62771

Reaction score
Hello fellow self builders! My first unabridged post. I'm Dan, new here. I'll be more than happy to help you, if you can help me. I've been a writer since I was 15, so I'm very explanatory and this post will be long just so you know in advance! So hopefully you won't nod-off & fall asleep before you finish reading my post! Thanks, Dan

I have successfully built raised paver patios, hardscapes. Rebuilt showers. Know how to ground electrical receptacles, light switches and check wiring safely and correctly. Very good at landscaping design. Know how to move sheds from one point to another point in a yard. And picked up a lot of other things too. But there's a lot of things I don't know, one of them is effectively upgrading my crawl space. But I'm a learn'n and come'n up to speed fast!

I've been planning, writing up schematics & making notes for some time on upgrading my crawl space from sloppy to sleek. My existing sump pump works fine. It checks water through the curb on my street right next to the sewer opening. However as I said sloppy crawl space with 46-year-old vapor barrier which is tattered and torn up.

My question is, what's the most effective way you know of to move Rock from point A to B in a crawl space?

I've considered using 5 gallon buckets, weighing 50 lb each, with 0.5 cubic feet of rock per bucket which would mean 54 buckets per yard of rock, 27 cu. ft. p/yd. I need approximately 2.5 yards of Rock for all the French drains that I need to build, in my crawl space. I need to build approximately 198 linear feet of French drains round the perimeter of my CS. I'm going to use three inch perf pipe. Dig trenches, filled with a base of rock, insert pipe on top rock within trench and cover with more rock, paying attention to pitch for effective drainage towards low point in crawl space to existing Zoeller M53 ⅓ hp sump pump.

Background on my crawl space which I've come to know well and sort of like. But like that loner in high school, they really don't want you to know them. I think crawl spaces are like that too! I have four superstructure 12" W x 6" H concrete/reinforced rebar continuous / strip footings in my crawl space with 4x6 posts 28.5 inch on center. There's three, strip footings that are 42 ft sections of my crawl space and two 21 foot sections. Then, with a five, 5-ft section of earth between each and every strip footing. Think of an L shape for a crawl space which matches the downstairs footprint of my home. The crawl space depth is approximately 40 inches throughout. Good ventilation, no mold or mildew or wood rot. With my General brand wood moisture meter reads 12% wood moisture throughout as well including subfloor lumber which is 2 in 2.5 in tongue and groove. Exterior Lumber including crawl spaces moisture levels need to be between 10% and 16% for a healthy wood moisture levels. My home was built in 1978. Two-story home.

The 4x6 beams are an average of 5 ft apart throughout the crawl space. The post and beam structure in my crawl space is overbuilt, which is good. There are a lot of posts that run down each footing, 28.5 inches apart.

However, with the big strip footings, it would be and arduous task rolling the buckets of Rock over each strip all the time because there's five sections of ground between all the strip footings that make up the full footprint of my crawl space, which is a 1,000 to 1100 square feet.

Carts, troughs and push/pull sticks are all made more or less applicable given the orientation of you access point and the curb walls.

Hello fellow self builders! My first unabridged post. I'm Dan, new here. I'll be more than happy to help you, if you can help me. I've been a writer since I was 15, so I'm very explanatory and this post will be long just so you know in advance! So hopefully you won't nod-off & fall asleep before you finish reading my post! Thanks, Dan

I have successfully built raised paver patios, hardscapes. Rebuilt showers. Know how to ground electrical receptacles, light switches and check wiring safely and correctly. Very good at landscaping design. Know how to move sheds from one point to another point in a yard. And picked up a lot of other things too. But there's a lot of things I don't know, one of them is effectively upgrading my crawl space. But I'm a learn'n and come'n up to speed fast!

I've been planning, writing up schematics & making notes for some time on upgrading my crawl space from sloppy to sleek. My existing sump pump works fine. It checks water through the curb on my street right next to the sewer opening. However as I said sloppy crawl space with 46-year-old vapor barrier which is tattered and torn up.

My question is, what's the most effective way you know of to move Rock from point A to B in a crawl space?

I've considered using 5 gallon buckets, weighing 50 lb each, with 0.5 cubic feet of rock per bucket which would mean 54 buckets per yard of rock, 27 cu. ft. p/yd. I need approximately 2.5 yards of Rock for all the French drains that I need to build, in my crawl space. I need to build approximately 198 linear feet of French drains round the perimeter of my CS. I'm going to use three inch perf pipe. Dig trenches, filled with a base of rock, insert pipe on top rock within trench and cover with more rock, paying attention to pitch for effective drainage towards low point in crawl space to existing Zoeller M53 ⅓ hp sump pump.

Background on my crawl space which I've come to know well and sort of like. But like that loner in high school, they really don't want you to know them. I think crawl spaces are like that too! I have four superstructure 12" W x 6" H concrete/reinforced rebar continuous / strip footings in my crawl space with 4x6 posts 28.5 inch on center. There's three, strip footings that are 42 ft sections of my crawl space and two 21 foot sections. Then, with a five, 5-ft section of earth between each and every strip footing. Think of an L shape for a crawl space which matches the downstairs footprint of my home. The crawl space depth is approximately 40 inches throughout. Good ventilation, no mold or mildew or wood rot. With my General brand wood moisture meter reads 12% wood moisture throughout as well including subfloor lumber which is 2 in 2.5 in tongue and groove. Exterior Lumber including crawl spaces moisture levels need to be between 10% and 16% for a healthy wood moisture levels. My home was built in 1978. Two-story home.

The 4x6 beams are an average of 5 ft apart throughout the crawl space. The post and beam structure in my crawl space is overbuilt, which is good. There are a lot of posts that run down each footing, 28.5 inches apart.

However, with the big strip footings, it would be and arduous task rolling the buckets of Rock over each strip all the time because there's five sections of ground between all the strip footings that make up the full footprint of my crawl space, which is a 1,000 to 1100 square feet.
Correction. My 4x6 posts are 28.5 inches on center as they run perpendicular to the strip footings, not 5 ft apart. The strip footings are 5 ft apart. There's a lot of redundancy with regards to structural support. Contractors that have looked at my crawlspace, are always surprised at how many beams there are and how many posts there are, so the foundation via the post and beam are very will stabilized with a lot of redundancy.

I have seen gravel delivered in a cement truck and mixed with water it can be delivered down a chute similar to concrete thru a window or such. They also have what is called a slinger truck and it can chute stone into tough locations.

I had a friend that hand dug a drain line fully around his basement and he somehow talked his Boy Scout Troop into a Saturday project using about 20 five gallon buckets going first up the stairs removing the dirt and then down the stairs hauling stone. The whole project labor cost was a dozen pizzas and a lot of cola.

I knew a farmer that every year needed to cover his feed bunk with plastic held down with about 10,000 old tires. He knew the wresting coach and his son was a wrestler and those kids loved the dirty workout.

If you can post some photos of the area we might be able to help you better and maybe figure out something simple and better than dragging buckets.

Welcome to the forum.

Back