New Member Enjoying The Forum

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJB12

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My name is Paul and I'm a new member. Thank You for allowing me into this learning group!

My background is varied. In the early 1970's, I worked as a linesman in the "climb the pole" days while apprenticing to be an electrician. I did line work until I realized how cold it is on poles and towers in Michigan. I became a master electrician and worked mostly industrial and high voltage. I also have commercial work time. I've limited time in electrical construction work, preferring diagnostic and repair. Distribution and control systems were my forte.The company for whom I worked changed me into a construction manager for commercial building projects, mostly restaurants.

Later in my career, I was transferred to the company's sports and entertainment division as mechanical systems manager to oversee the tradespeople. We managed stadiums and auto racing venues. Eventually, I opened my own business for primarily temporary power and entertainment electrical.

At the same time I was working as an electrician, I apprenticed and became a journeyman plumber. I also earned my mechanical license, to be used for heating, primarily in hydronics, with industrial steam work included.

I am also licensed and experienced in refrigeration and climate control (Commonly called "air conditioning" or "HVAC"). My work there was commercial and industrial refrigeration, heating & cooling. Ammonia systems were part of my refrigeration experience. Large chillers, cooling towers & steam distribution were my primary "patients". House air conditioners and refrigeration were only "government" work for friends and family.

I'm a certified welder, but this was only used as an adjunct to my electrical work. (Example: Fabricating transformer racks & banks). MIG & SMAW are fun. (Captian Clump was my welding nickname.) TIG is an exciting challenge each time, especially making the welds on any 300 series stainless disappear.

As far as home repair and maintenance, I try. Boy do I try!
Wood and I do not play well together. It usually wins.
Tile and stone work are a favorite of mine. (I learned basic skills while working for a tile setter and for a mason when I was very young.)
I enjoy drywall mudding (honest!) and plaster finishing, although my wet plaster skills are iffy at best.
I enjoy painting trim, but not roller work.
Gardening is something I enjoy, but am fair to poor at due to no green thumb. My gardening motto: What shows up, grows up.

So that's me in a nutshell.

Paul

Welcome aboard Paul. We seem to be about the same age and have similar life experiences. We got started at the tail end of the old way things were done in industry. I went thru a 4 year industrial apprenticeship with GE starting at 17 years old and 44 years later retired from there. It was a much different America then. Many employees parents worked there and it was truly womb to tomb support by a company.

Feel free to jump into any topics you want to help out in. This is for the most part a pretty easy going forum.

:welcome group:

We're glad to have you here!

Back