Porch Replacement Windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris LaBoda

Reaction score
I want to replace all of the windows and the door on my porch this summer with double hung windows and a new door. The question I have is framing for the windows. Do I need to frame the windows like it is new construction? Attached is a picture and proposed framing of one side of the porch for starters. The home was built in 1959 and is like a fortress unlike the new homes. I have worked in construction for the last 30+ years wiring new homes for audio video but no framing experience. I am fairly handy with tools and can figure it out.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Porch East Side.jpg
    Porch East Side.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • framing 1.PNG
    framing 1.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
  • framing 2.PNG
    framing 2.PNG
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
Welcome.
Were it I, and since you appear to already have a header and a cripple wall, and it is unlikely that there are additional supports between the existing windows, I, would just add 4 X 4's between the proposed windows which would afford you backing for siding and interior finish.

If you are referring to a single 2X instead of the 4X between, you'll find that the window nailing rails, will then overlap, which presents a flashing and sealing difficulty.

You can, and the method is too equal the existing wall thickness and eliminate steps that require more trim pieces, as well as flashing the exterior.

Back