Precision Length Cuts With RAS

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Measuring, marking and cutting can lead to error. So I combined a couple of tips from others to cut rails for my kitchen island drawer front. I used a carpenter's rule with the little brass slide to do the inside measurement (two sticks with a clamp would have worked). The measurement would have been very close to 26" but I didn't record it. Instead I set a stop block for my radial arm saw to accommodate the rule length. I do the same at each rail location in case of slight variance. This way I am not trying to read 16ths, I will use the same method to measure and cut drawer box width using the Ana White (YouTube) slide mount method.

To be even more precise set the saw stop an inch or so longer than the rule. With rule in place saw a piece of stock against the rule. Remove the rule, place that short piece against the stop to cut the rail. The rail will be the same length as the rule because they have both occupied the same space.

SaveShare

Last edited:
Ana White installs drawer slides and sides first then measures between them front and rear using the smaller dimension for drawer box width.I will use a carpenter's rule rather than tape and cut as I did the rails for accuracy. My drawers will be simple boxes, no dovetails or floating bottoms.

1690574304710.png1690574343287.png

Pieces glued together to represent the precise length of a stile for my saw track.

0810231903.jpg

Back