Versetta Stone panels

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hi, I am considering installing Versetta Stone Veneer panels on an interior corner in my home where I have a pellet stove (picture attached). I am wondering if anyone has had experience installing this ok interior applications. It looks like the specifications call for installing over 1/2" Plywood or 7/16" OSB, whereas I currently have finished drywall.

My question is whether they can be installed over drywall if it's secured into the studs, or would it be better to remove the drywall in this area and replace with Plywood to use to anchor the panels to?

Attachments

• 20240212_135623.jpg
    20240212_135623.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The reason that that process is required and should be adhered to, is the pullout weight, which when anchoring into drywall, cannot be overcome, without using an anchor, other than the typical screw anchors, which amounts to an approximate doubling of the time of installation.

Your ability and existing tools will be determinate, if you remove the drywall and place the backer, or install the backer over the drywall.

Also, will the thickness of the installed panels affect the FP's base area and required clearances?

The reason that that process is required and should be adhered to, is the pullout weight, which when anchoring into drywall, cannot be overcome, without using an anchor, other than the typical screw anchors, which amounts to an approximate doubling of the time of installation.

Your ability and existing tools will be determinate, if you remove the drywall and place the backer, or install the backer over the drywall.

Also, will the thickness of the installed panels affect the FP's base area and required clearances?
I think then it would be best to remove the drywall and install Plywood backing in place of it. I don't want to push out the wall any further by adding the backer onto the existing drywall.

The stone panels are 1.5" in depth, and I have heat shields on the stove, which allow clearances to be a minimum of 9 inches from the wall to the rear edge of the stove box (just in front of the hopper). The stove is currently 14 inches away from the walls on each side so it should still be well within the safe range.

There are also faux lightweight “stone”panels that are thin and can be attached directly to drywall. Some of them look pretty nice and are a simple DIY job without the mess for a finished room.

Here is one I found with Google. There is a video included.

https://www.amazon.com/Plain-Beauti...6&psc=1&mcid=36caa52602243f77be9925df76adb607

If you are good with heated zone distance something like this shouldn’t be an issue.

There are also faux lightweight “stone”panels that are thin and can be attached directly to drywall. Some of them look pretty nice and are a simple DIY job without the mess for a finished room.

Here is one I found with Google. There is a video included.

https://www.amazon.com/Plain-Beauti...6&psc=1&mcid=36caa52602243f77be9925df76adb607

If you are good with heated zone distance something like this shouldn’t be an issue.
Yes we were looking at the Foam panels, but still thought they didn't look as good as the concrete veneer style panels, and they are very expensive, almost the same price as the concrete ones.

There is also a 10% uncharge for fire rated panels, whether you need them or not, an ill-advised future occupant may.

Does anyone know if the first course has to actually rest/ be supported on the finished floor? I'm wondering if I ever replace the flooring what would happen if the entire stone wall is resting on it.

Use a ¼" spacer between the panels and floor. It will stop them from sliding down from gravity.

Does anyone know if the first course has to actually rest/ be supported on the finished floor? I'm wondering if I ever replace the flooring what would happen if the entire stone wall is resting on it.
The installation video shows a base "J" channel, which, as Havasu said, can be shimmed.

Back