Window repair or replace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobes

Reaction score
Hello all.

I was one step away from choosing a quote for window and patio door replacement when I came across a few articles recommending repair instead of replacement.

The argument being that the cost of replacement is significantly outweighed by the price as many old windows can still be very effective with a much cheaper repair.

The question is, how can I know if my current (wood casement) windows are in good enough shape and without significant rot that would allow for the cheaper option?

Who can I call to look at the windows and make an honest determination/recommendation?

I was thinking about using a home inspector for some other home issues, but not sure they would have the specific knowledge in this area. Any suggestions?

Hello all.

I was one step away from choosing a quote for window and patio door replacement when I came across a few articles recommending repair instead of replacement.

The argument being that the cost of replacement is significantly outweighed by the price as many old windows can still be very effective with a much cheaper repair.

The question is, how can I know if my current (wood casement) windows are in good enough shape and without significant rot that would allow for the cheaper option?

Who can I call to look at the windows and make an honest determination/recommendation?

I was thinking about using a home inspector for some other home issues, but not sure they would have the specific knowledge in this area. Any suggestions on window repair washington dc?
thanks in advance for any help

If you had the dwelling inspected and there were no notations about the glazing and their operation, that's a pretty good indication.

Well, if you have specific glazings that you are questioning the integrity of, post some panoramic photos, open & closed of them & the jambs.

Back