Would like to replace gas fireplace insert manual switch with "smart" switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaugh

Reaction score
I have a gas fireplace insert. The unit is operated by flipping what appears to be a standard wall switch at the base of the insert. I would like to replace this with a smart switch that I can control with my iPhone. I don't understand the mechanism of the existing switch. I know that if functions to turn on the fireplace even when all electricity is off, so it does not require a live connection to house current.

I've been looking at the Aqara Dual Relay Module. The descriptions seem to indicate that this would work to allow me to use Apple Home kit and other apps to operate the fireplace remotely. It apparently can be used in a switch box to convert a standard wall switch to a smart switch.

I would appreciate any suggestions on this proposed DIY project.

John
https://www.amazon.com/Aqara-Requir...c3f-4566-823f-e444ed6a7566&pd_rd_i=B0CC2B8C37

Attachments

• IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
You're going to have to open that switch up in order to see how many contacts you have inside. Please do so, then take a picture of the inside.

You're going to have to open that switch up in order to see how many contacts you have inside. Please do so, then take a picture of the inside.
Thanks. I've made a short video. If this doesn't work I can send individual jpegs.
John

Attachments

• Switch_connections.mp4
    6.2 MB
Still photo images.

Attachments

• Switch1.jpg
    Switch1.jpg
    929.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Switch2.jpg
    Switch2.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Switch3.jpg
    Switch3.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 0
So, obviously, by connecting the two wires, the fireplace kicks on?
I don't see why a wi-fi or Bluetooth controlled light switch would not work, provided you can locate a power source. Battery operated?

A standard smart switch will either require a neutral or not require as neutral depending on the switch. That switch is just opening and closing the circuit as a standard single pole switch would.
I don't know if a smart switch would work in this case even one that does not require a neutral.

I never worked with a fireplace before so someone more familiar can chime in.

This paragraph says a lot; "The Aqara Dual Relay Module T2 supports dry (or potential-free) contact mode with both pulse and on-off switching, which allows you to integrate a great variety of electrical devices such as boilers, garage doors and much more into your smart home setup."

Since the existing system is a switch,
interrupting the mili-volt generated by the devices pilot generater, it's doubtful the voltage is present for the aqua to be useful, unless you can provide an outside AC or DC supply.

Thanks all for your thoughtful replies. I will investigate further the possibility of using a battery powered switch of some sort. I'll reply back if I have success.
John

From the AGARA T2 web site; "The Dual Relay Module T2 supports 24V DC and above."

Yes, the issue is power for the switch. I have a whole house fan with a a bluetooth connection, that is operated by a small coin looking battery. I've been told that when the battery dies, I would need to replace the battery, then pair the connection once again. This involves climbing up into the attic and pushing "pairing" buttons. I'm not looking forward to this.

Yes, the issue is power for the switch. I have a whole house fan with a a bluetooth connection, that is operated by a small coin looking battery. I've been told that when the battery dies, I would need to replace the battery, then pair the connection once again. This involves climbing up into the attic and pushing "pairing" buttons. I'm not looking forward to this.
I think you are absolutely right. I was thinking of replacing the switch with an Aqara smart switch that does not require a neutral. I already have one controlling a light in my den via Apple Home app. Then I realized I was overlooking one important consideration. The switch is useless without power!

Maybe I’m old school, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of hard-wired devices. In the case of a gas insert fireplace I look at it as an alternate heat source in the event of a power outage and I would like that to function without electricity and or wireless communication. If I wanted to use my phone to turn it on I would want to leave the switch as a backup method.

As to @havasu I see it as the time saved being able to turn the fan on without walking over and flipping a switch will be outweighed by the once a year trip up in the attic to change the battery and push the pairing button.

I went to my cousin’s house and she wanted to show me some lights she bought on QVC and told me she needed the remote to turn it on. She opened a kitchen drawer and it was filled to the top with little remotes with a couple buttons on them for all the other stuff she had around. She took a good five minutes trying them and tapping on them like the batteries might be dead. I was going on about how many remotes she had and her husband said that’s nothing show him the battery drawer. Lol.

Kinda like this drawer? What a mess!16968787414393105422683448856185.jpg

Back