Contractor insists that I buy online first

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yod12

Reaction score
I'm taking my old water heater out and a local contractor who seems to have a good reputation wants me to order a new one online and he'll pick it up. Is this a normal way to do this?

Also, how to drain this? I put a brass screw cap on the drain cock near the bottom of the heater years ago because it was leaking. Now when I loosen it, water just pours out. The gate valve just turns about 1/8 of a turn either way - is this normal for a round wheel handle water heater gate valve?
since I wrote this, I got the valve to close...I think it's closed all the way. I got the brass cap off at the drain cock and hooked a hose up to it. But can't budge any of the connection of top - the cold inlet or hot outlet. Any tricks to getting these?

Last edited:
A lot of reputable places online do have prices that beat many store prices. However, a lot of contractors are wary of people buying them and usually won't put them in if you have pre-purchased it from some iffy place online. It kind of seems like taking your car to the garage and having the parts. They don't know if they're defective or where they really came from, so they can't honor the warranty and usually won't even put the parts on for you.

If the water pipe valves on top won't turn, I'd get them replaced. If you try to force them and they break, you're going to be without any water unless there are cutoffs that work further up the line without turning off water to vital places in the house. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with turning off the water out by the street while those valves are being replaced.

Last edited:
IF, you have a contractor, why are you putting your hands on nhis work?

If you break something he is going to charge you more.

I went to a house one day and the home owner had glued all the sinks onto the counter tops

I had to pull brand new sinks so i could install valves. i charged them $25.00 per sink to pull

Somethings wrong with this whole thing.
No real plumber I've ever heard of would ask you to order anything on line.
If you have an old gate valve on the incoming line it should be replaced with a ball valve.
Those cheap plastic drain valves are always going to be trouble.
I remove them and replace them with a 3" brass nipple, ball valve and a garden hose adaptor before even installing the new heater.

Some pros I know prefer to have the customer deal with delivery rather than do it themselves. In those cases, though, the pro specifies the part, and usually suggests the vendor. All he has to do then, is just show up after the part does. i don't think it's so unusual anymore.
About the valves: is it part of the deal that you disconnect the old WH?

Back