Any advice before I change these gutters?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmr106

Reaction score
Current gutters on the house leak/drip at the seams. They weren't installed properly. There's only one downspout that happens to be on the back corner of the house where there are already crawlspace water issues. There's no slant on each side for the gutters, since there is only one downspout. As seen, the board holding the gutter has a split in it, causing the gutter to sag on the end. I'm pretty sure that some of the water coming off from the roof is missing the gutter because it is too low on the end. That corner opening between the shingles and the boards - there's a crack of maybe half of an inch to an inch, visible from inside of the attic rafters. What can I do about that?

v4xqox.jpg

107uoug.jpg

I'm going to replace the board behind the gutter and put a new gutter up. This looks to be a pretty big board. Probably 10" to 12" wide and maybe 3/4" or 1" as an estimate just by looking at it. They are in probably 10-12 foot sections and cut at an angle so that the boards join together. I'll take measurements when I take the gutter down. This is not the type of "fascia" board that most people seem to refer to by the word. I've had people say, "What is THAT? That's not fascia board!" when showing a photo to them. Apparently all of the houses on this street were built in a similar fashion and use these kinds of boards for the gutters and some kind of smaller trim (perhaps that's the real fascia board) for the side parts of the house leading up to the point.

I'm not that familiar with rafter boards. Is that what I'm seeing in regards to the double-stacked boards behind/above the board holding the gutter? Should those have some kind of plastic covering over them to prevent them from getting wet?

Those big nails with the silly plastic slide-over cover don't work very well. Trying to nail those into a board is highly irritating. They bend a lot, etc. I've dealt with them over the years in other situations.

I'm thinking of using something like these and using screws instead of nails to hang the gutter:

brackets.jpg

If I remember correctly, for every...10 feet, there's a 1/2 inch slope?

The downspouts will get long extensions on them.

I found a good video. Take note of how close the gutter ends up to the roofing.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZcqiPnKO84[/ame].

Get all you prices and estimate your time to hang this stuff and then phone a company that does endless gutters and get a price.

Back