1950s Old Rock Lath Wall - Replace or keep?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeetwo

Reaction score
So, I am attempting to renovate a small half-bathroom and my house has this old 1950s Rock-Lath Plaster wall. Currently, the walls are not tiled. I wanted to tile the walls half-way. Because it's an old home and these Rock-Lath walls seem to be very inconsistent (not plumb/straight/square), I wanted to remove them half-way (where the tiles would go) and replace with sheetrock and/or cement board (both to match the thickness of the existing wall). Some of the corners and sides are even worse because the previous owner repaired with plaster (like around the door trims) and did not sand it smooth. So, there are visible ridges and curves.

Question 1: Am I making a mistake by removing the wall? I only removed one side so far, should I leave the other sides alone?
Question 2: If I do remove, do I match the thickness cement board over drywall or just drywall? The thickness seems to be around 7/8” to 1”

Also, I know traditionally half walled tiles would be sticking out by the thickness of the tile and thin-set mortar…so it’s not really flushed with the upper half of the wall. And you finish it with a bullnose trim or metal/plastic trim edge. What if I went to with ¾” backer board, so the completed tiled walls would stick out by 1/8” – thinking it will give a cleaner look. I’m going for that modern look with floating shelves as vanity and vessel sink…grey concrete look tiles with black hardware. Any thoughts?

IMG_1842.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1845.jpg