AC or Swamp cooler?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
I want to get a portable unit for my garage which is 800 sq ft. It is well insulated but can get hot. The portable options I am looking at are anAC rated for 400 SqFt or a swamp cooler rated for 400 SqFt or for double the cost a porta cool rated for 800 SqFt but I don't know if I would use it enough to justify the 800 dollar cost of that one.

I'd recommend a mini-split A/C unit. You can find a 24 SEER 220V that would be cheap to operate and wouldn't add all the humidity that a swamp cooler would bring in.

and as its SO dry here,(AZ) it feels great.
and adds almost nothing to the elect bill,
not humid at all.

beside trying to cool 1500 sq ft with a/c would be nuts

I have been looking at mini split units.

I borrowed a swamp cooler that is good for my 800 sqft to see if it will do what I need.

Like I said my garage is very well insulated so I don't need much. It would just be nice to be able to work out there on hot days.

it is so humid in iowa I run the ac as much to reduce the humidity as to cool the building. I hava a 60 x 40 building and I cool it with just a 10000 btu window air conditioner, no its not really adequate but it works and is much better than nothing.

I have been looking at mini split units.

I borrowed a swamp cooler that is good for my 800 sqft to see if it will do what I need.

Like I said my garage is very well insulated so I don't need much. It would just be nice to be able to work out there on hot days.

We have self installed 2 Mini Splits in our house . If you have questions , holler .

We love them . But , on the down side , a self install is at least twist the cost as a window unit ( if you have the tooling , the more tooling you have to buy , the greater the cost ) . If you pay a contractor , much more .

God bless
Wyr

I still plan on adding a mini-split to work in conjunction with my central air. (In the master bedroom so I don't have to cool the entire house just to have a cool bedroom). I plan on doing all the installation until I need to vacuum out the air. I will pay my a/c guy to spend an hour and set it up for me. What could that cost? maybe $100?

Ask the A/C guy . You can " rent " a vacuum pump at the major auto parts stores . A set of gauges & hoses can be had for less than that $ 100 . There are other things you are suppose to use too .

Your call .

We put our 2nd MS in our bedroom . We love it , except my Wife turns it down cold enough that I have to get under the covers , in the summer !

God bless
Wyr

Latest posts

Back