Advice on fixing skylight

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JelRN

Reaction score
So we have some form of custom skylight and they have become a nightmare. We moved into our house in 2016, we realized the skylights upstairs were leaking at the start of this year (2019) when it started dripping in our living room downstairs from them. Tore out the walls saw some hodgepodge bs repairs that were improperly done by the last owners. So we got quotes decided it was time to just redo the roof and everything. 20k for the roof and the windows to be "fixed". Well that was in the ned of May that everything finally wrapped up. July came around with the storms and discovered the windows were STILL leaking! Luckily we hadn't replaced the drywall and sealed everything back up yet. All the things the roofing company said they would do to make sure they never leaked again didn't happen, no waterproofing they just threw new wood in and caulked and said eff it evidently. I've been calling them since the start of July trying to get them to come out and fix this issue to no avail. They finally came this month and threw up some liner over the areas to prevent the leaking but no actual repairs, just blocked out the windows. I am ready to just try to fix this myself I can't take it I want my walls back in.

Anyone know anything about how to deal with this?! Pictures are during/after the repairs. The leaks seem to be at the bottom base of the windows. I have two sets of identical windows that this is a problem on. I am thinking just tear it all out redguard EVERYTHING, redo all the thermal sheeting under the small area of siding there. Pull up shingles under the windows, throw liner sheeting all over everything and draped down a few feet, then put shingles back down and cover everything with trim capping that is preferably nonporous.

These pictures are what we found when we discovered the leak and tore out the sheet rock originally.

Pictures are not great, but the skylights look like some kind of homemade plexiglass creations.
Not proper skylights.

Skylights have several layers of flashing, frames that support them and channel away water, and are not something you just tinker together on site.

Back