An issue with my sewage pump.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
Our septic bed is higher than our main floor, so it has 2 sump like pumps in the basement for moving the sewage from the house to the tank/bed. So, the sinks, toilet, and other things drain to the sewage tank and gets pumped up to the tank/bed.

Last night, I noticed a smell from the basement.. Water was leaking out of the sewage tank. I wiggled the power cord and heard the pump come on. It hasn't happened since.

An even more of an enigma is that the toilet was running when I noticed the smell.

I am wonder if if I have a problem or if it is a one off.

You likely have a problem.

One or both of the float switches might be jammed with toilet paper, or just defective.

One or both pumps might have a clogged impeller, or a bad power cord, or a bad plug at the power outlet.

Or the pumps are just going bad.

Or a check valve is sticking sometimes.

You need to open the cover and observe the system in operation.

You likely have a problem.

One or both of the float switches might be jammed with toilet paper, or just defective.

One or both pumps might have a clogged impeller, or a bad power cord, or a bad plug at the power outlet.

Or the pumps are just going bad.

Or a check valve is sticking sometimes.

You need to open the cover and observe the system in operation.

Sounds like I am going to dealing with a .... situation....

Post a pic of your sump pit area.

If you can remove the screws around the cover, you can usually slide up the cover higher on the pipes, to get a look inside.

Don’t touch anything in there or anything wet, you can get a shock if a wire is chafing or a pump is shorting out.

You can unplug the pumps briefly, while putting your hands in there, like to unstick a float etc.

Then plug back in and observe operation, with the cover propped up to see what is going on.

If all the water in the house gets pumped like this, you have to jump on this or your basement will flood with sewage, and drains will back up.

Post a pic of your sump pit area.

If you can remove the screws around the cover, you can usually slide up the cover higher on the pipes, to get a look inside.

Don’t touch anything in there or anything wet, you can get a shock if a wire is chafing or a pump is shorting out.

You can unplug the pumps briefly, while putting your hands in there, like to unstick a float etc.

Then plug back in and observe operation, with the cover propped up to see what is going on.

If all the water in the house gets pumped like this, you have to jump in this or your basement will flood with sewage, and drains will back up.

There are no screws. It seems it is held there with caulking. I'll cut it away and see what is going on.

Back