Attempting to install 5.5" facia on 2X4 backing board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Hello All.

Newbie here attemping something Ive never tried. My house was built in 1970 - raised ranch. Gutters are falling off the house because the facsia is rotted.
Started on back of house - removed 43' span of gutter and removed the old fascia and soffit. The fascia I removed is some kind of MDF - comes off like pressed cardboard.
It was about 5.5inches wide with a small slot in the bottom to support the soffit which was liek 1/4 plywood.. None of this can be saved - its all garbage.
I bought some primed pine 5.5 inch wide boards along with some f channel and some vinyl soffit.

The problem I have is that the fascia backing board is a 2X4. I can install my F channel on the house but I have nothing to tack the outside of the soffit to. Way I figure I only have a couple options, Either tack a small strip of wood to the bottom of the 2x4 backing board so my soffit has something to tack into, or I tack a small strip onto the back of my 5.5 inch fascia board and tack the 5.5 to the 2X4 backing board and the soffit to the strip on the back of the facia.

I hope I explained this well enough for someone to understand, Im not as savvy with the lingo as most. again this is my first try at something like this.

If anyone knows any better way to do this, please let me know. Not looking forward to either of my options. I tried to draw a pic of what I have.. The yellow highlight is where I would need to tack the outside of the soffit.

Soffit.JPG

tack F-channel to the backside of the fascia board.

tack F-channel to the backside of the fascia board.
So use F Channel on both Fascia board and the house? I'd think I would need to be very accurate with my sizing and cutting of the soffit for it to fit in both F channels securely. I supposed I could tack the house side of the soffit and just use the F channel on the fascia. Just nervous - if the builders used a 2X6 it would give me a lot more room for error.

Thank you kok328, I went with your suggestion and finished it last night. Luckily my roof and house were pretty straight. I ended up using F Channel on both the fascia and the house. Took me a bit to get going but once I got through the 1st couple of sections it went a lot smoother. I just tacked F Channel upside down i guess all along the house, then I took each 8ft piece of fascia and measured 5 inches and tacked the other F Channel right side up with the bottom along my 5" marker. lined up pretty well.

Latest posts

Back