Best adhesive for two kinds of plastic?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
This isn't actually a home improvement question, but hopefully your home improvement know-how can help me answer it.

I've got a metal water bottle whose cap is connected to the body by a plastic strap. This plastic strap includes a rigid hinged piece on the body end and a rigid hinged piece on the cap end, with a flexible piece connecting them in the middle. The flexible piece was joined to the rigid pieces with something like a mortise-and-tenon joint.

That joint has failed on one end.

What is the best type of adhesive to put in there to re-join them permanently?

Here's the "mortise": (the bent-looking piece is made from a kind of flexible plastic)
IMG_2023-02-13_12-08-37.jpeg

And here's the "tenon": (it's made from a rigid kind of plastic)
IMG_2023-02-13_12-06-24.jpeg

And here's how it's supposed to look when it's all together:
IMG_2023-02-13_12-09-11.jpeg

Or, if you don't think an adhesive will do the trick, what is another idea for permanently rejoining the pieces?

Could it be drilled and pinned together or is the tenon too fragile? Another thought-- braid a paracord loop if it could be attached somehow at the hinge points.

Hmm...Eddie, a couple small holes on each side and two very small zip-ties might do the trick, if I can be confident the holes won't rip/expand.

Simply replacing the whole strap with something else (e.g. braided paracord) is another idea I'll credit to you.

Thanks!

But first I want to be sure appropriate adhesive options are exhausted.

I recall someone saying their dad used to make orthopedic shoes using Barge all purpose cement. I got some at Ace Hardware and used it to cement a place where the rubber sole of a shoe was separating from the leather. I also recall using Pliobond to cement my son's bootheel. No guarantees, just something to consider. IIRC Barge is clear and Pliobond is brownish.

I reprioritized my strategy and went with a mechanical fastener solution, because I knew I had the required tools/materials on hand, and I knew they would do the job.

Drilled four holes, inserted two zip-ties, clipped and sanded the ends. Fixed.

Photo on 2-24-23 at 14.04 #2.jpg
Photo on 2-24-23 at 14.04.jpg

Thanks for the idea, Eddie!

Latest posts

Back