Ceiling fan cracking ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copperalyssa

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on best way to fix this, or some ideas on what's causing it. Moved in a year ago and it was already there but slowly getting worse. Cracks extended almost all the way down the room. Don't know how old the fans are but the style seems at least from the 90s maybe. House from 1965 so could even be that old.
1000005983.jpg

Welcome.
That crack, likely isn't a crack, but a separation of a poorly finished tape joint, evidenced in the photo, and you'll have your work cutout, as a DIY repair.

The old tape needs removed and replaced. You could use fiberglass or self adhesive paper tape. I find the self adhesive paper tape more DIY friendly. The big challenge is making the repair match the texture on the ceiling. They do make spray on finishes that can replicate the texture, but a professional repair would likely scrape the whole ceiling and retexture. It is hard even for pros to match existing spray on textures. Yours looks like it was rolled on instead of sprayed on. I hate textured ceilings with a passion. I can do a good job patching a smooth ceiling. Thankfully I never had to try in the four years I own a house with a popcorn ceiling.

Latest posts

Back