Ceiling Fan Installation Wiring Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toicy4ya

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently installed the Tilghman II Ceiling Fan and Tilghman Light kit. All works well, however I would like for that light AND ceiling fan to both turn on when I flip the wall switch to "on". Currently only the light turns on with the wall switch. The ceiling fan can only be turned on with the pull chain.

Is there a way I can wire it so that the wall switch will turn on the light and the ceiling fan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

In the wiring harness are a white, black and blue conductors, you connect the black and blue conductors together, THEN connect them both, to the black conductor in the ceiling box.

How many switches currently run to the fan? If there's only one, where does the fan part get its power from?

Does the power run to the switch then to the fan? Or into the fan, connect to the fan part, then run from the fan to the switch and back up (and connect to the light)? I suspect it's the latter, so Snoonyb has a good answer.

Although I guess there could be black and red wires coming from the switch box, the black being for the light and switched, and the red always being hot. Though again what Snoonyb says is correct.

So, maybe you just follow Snoonyb's advice? ;)

Latest posts

Back