Ceiling fan wiring issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyRyan

Reaction score
So... I pulled down an old ceiling fan that came with my house expecting to find the sensor for the remote that operates it. As it turns out, the sensor was installed in the attic, in a very difficult place to access. I'm fine with using the old remote, so I just need to wire the new fan to the wires that drop out of the ceiling. Unfortunately, I don't have the manual for the remote and the manual for the new fan doesn't match up with what I see.

Out of the ceiling I have a red, black and white wire, along with the ground. The button for the light on the remote toggles the black wire between hot and not. The fan buttons on the remote don't seem to have an effect on any of the wires, or at least that my basic electrical detector can pick up. The red wire is always hot. There isn't a wall switch anywhere for this fan.

The fan has a blue, a black and a white wire, which I'm sure is standard.

I wish I had paid attention to how the old fan was wired, but I made the mistake of forgetting to take a picture. The remote worked for both the fan and the light. I just can't figure out how, since the red is always hot and the black is off if the light is off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I called the toll free number for support in the manual yesterday morning. They told me someone would call back within 24 hours. I called again this morning and they told me someone would call back within 24 hours. I asked what to do if no one calls me back again... she told me to call back if no one has called me by Friday evening... 4 days after my original call, and probably when they close for the weekend. I don't expect to ever get a call back.

The remote usually controls a receiver, and the receiver acts like a double switch/step dimmer.

So the receiver that sends power to the fan can control off and on to the fan or light, separately.

Also, the receiver can act like a dimmer or speed control, some can adjust power in steps, some are continuous full range.

So it can give more or less light, more or less speed.

You set the top fan speed with the chain switch, if it has that, and the receiver gives you a high to low range of speeds from that top speed.

Connect the white conductors together.
Connect the red from the remote to the black from the new fan.
Connect the black from the remote to the blue from the new fan.

If you are dissatisfied with the operation, reverse the red and black.

Back