Coarsest sandpaper

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit7

Reaction score
I am looking for the lowest grit sandpaper that will remove wood the fastest.

I found this, but could find no P12 sandpaper.

Extra Coarse
This highly coarse sandpaper grit ensures expedited removal of all kinds of material. Because of the roughness, extra coarse sandpaper is used for the initial round of sanding on hardwood flooring. As per the FEPA standards, the sandpaper grit sizing is denoted by P30, P36, P12, and P16, while the CAMI standards denote the classes as 24, 30, or 36. The average diameter of the sandpaper grit particles can range anywhere between 530 to 1815 micrometers.

What are you sanding? What type of sander are you using? A belt sander with 60 grit can do some serious damage really quickly on a project. A floor drum sander can really do a lot of damage pretty quickly in inexperienced hands.

I am sanding wood.

I considered buying a belt sander.

But I would not be using it very frequently.

new.jpgnew.jpg

A friend once told me there are two kinds of wood working mistakes... those that can be fixed with a belt sander, and firewood.

A belt sander would take care of that in short order. Go with the grain and buy a 60 or 80 grit belt and then the finest belt you can get. Then touch it up with fine grit paper in your palm sander. 60 and 80 grit in a belt sander will definitely leave visible sanding marks so go with the grain.

Latest posts

Back