Combining 12 AWG and 10 AWG in one circuit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrens

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'd like to ask a question about combining 12 AWG and 10 AWG Romex cables in a circuit, specifically for running power to ceiling lights. I recently had an electrical contractor run new power to a room in my house that I'm renovating. I'm now preparing to install two recessed LED ceiling lights to the cable the electrician ran into the ceiling for that purpose. The electrician ran 10/3 AWG Romex to power the lights. The cable comes from a three-way switch, which explains the use of the four-wire cable. I am puzzled by the use of 10 gauge, since the circuit is protected by a 20-amp breaker (presumably because the garage door opener is on the same circuit). I'm not thrilled about having to work with the heavier gauge wire, but I figure I'll just cap the red wire (I tested it) at the light and then wrestle all the 10-gauge wires into the (very) small junction/light box. However, I want to connect the first LED light to a second on the same switch, so here's the gist of my question: to save myself the trouble of trying to cram additional 10-gauge wires into the first light box and then also into the second, can I switch to 12/2 Romex to run the power from the first light to the second light? I would use WAGO connectors rated for #10 wire to connect the 10/3 cable, the 12/2 cable and the light fixture wires.

Thanks very much for your insight.

Chris

No sure about code issues but the electrician must have had the 10 G on the truck, not necessary. There should be no issues it's just better than you need and it doesn't seem that you can connect anything else to it so there won't be a breaker load problem... It's just overkill. my 2 cents!

It is not against code to use 10 on a 20 amp circuit but as you have discovered, working with #10 is a pain for lighting.

Thanks very much for your input on this. I felt pretty comfortable with the whole idea, but it's definitely reassuring to have informed back-up on that.

Back