Condensation on basement glass block windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denele

Reaction score
Hi - I have several glass block windows in my basement, and a few of them constantly seem to have condensation on them whenever the temperature drops below 40 outside. The ones with the worse condensation all have an angle iron just above the glass block.

I have filled any visible cracks in the mortar using concrete caulking, and then applied two coats of Drylok to reseal all the mortar around the windows, both inside and out. I have a low temperature dehumidifier running in the basement, and it’s always been dry with normal humidity.

My problem is the condensation forms all around the windows (see photo’s attached), and if not wiped down occasionally, begins to mold.

Can anyone suggest a way for me to stop (or minimize) this problem?

Thank you and appreciate any suggestions/help!!
Denny

glass block 1.jpg glass block 2.jpg

That is all about the humidity in the room. When moist air comes in contact with a much colder glass the moisture condenses into water.

The solution in your basement is to run a dehumidifier and/or condition the space with HVAC. You can also check for water vapor infiltration into your basement by taping a piece of aluminum foil to the walls are various places around the basement, including the floor. On the walls do it at different heights as well. If after a few days you have water condensed between the foil and the wall you have water vapor coming in through the foundation. If you have water condensed on the room side of the foil you have high humidity that isn't coming in at that particular location. You want to seal all four sides of the foil to the wall.

If you don't have liquid water coming in, but have water vapor coming in Drylock or Thoro-Seal can help reduce the water vapor along with a dehumidifier. Liquid water requires footer drains that flow to daylight or into a sump pump.

Latest posts

Back