Dual Thermostat House

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocnlvr83

Reaction score
I currently live with my parents in a dual thermostat house built in 2017. We have issues with keeping the upstairs cool. We have both thermostats set at 77 to lower the electricity bill, but for some reason, the house was built with two vents in the upstairs that when the A/C or heater is on, it’s blowing air to cool the upstairs. One vent is able to be closed, but the other is a reusable filter that cannot be closed. The only trouble with this is that it cools off the loft space, but lowers the temperature upstairs enough that the air conditioner never turns on upstairs, making the upstairs bedrooms and bathroom unbearable. Because we have cats, we don’t leave the bedroom doors open. Is there any way our rooms can be cooled, or do we just have to suck it up and be hot at night in bed?

block off the vent or set the thermostat lower than the other one.

Yeah, I agree with Kok, you can try blocking off the vent so that it wouldn't flow through the loft space.

Back