French drain location

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
Our house doesn't have gutters on the front and as a result when we get heavy rain it pools in certain areas which has resulted in the deck rotting. I'm hoping the studs are ok and I just need to get rid of the plywood and siding. The issue im having is that the house sits on the back corner of a half acre lot with the neighbors house about 20-30ft away. Both houses are built up to allow for drainage creating a small valley between us.
What would be the best way to direct the drain? From where I'm taking the pic is where I was thinking about having the drain empty. You can also see in the pic, a couple of feet in where the siding is bulging at the bottom is where the water is pooling

IMG_20200503_143802646_HDR.jpg

First off a french drain lies right next to the footing of the building. I think what you are asking for is a surface drainage system. You could do this by digging a trench down 2-3 feet all around the house then dig another trench going towards that low spot. then install french drain flexible 4 inch pipe in the trench. then back fill with 3/4 gravel to within 2 inches of the top. then add top soil and sod to finish ,

Impossible to advise from this one picture.

There needs to be an on-site evaluation.

To assess grade levels all around your property, and its relationship to surrounding properties.

Meanwhile, have gutters installed, and have the downspouts run far from the house, or into underground extensions at least ten feet long.

You need to consult a landscaper who advertises as experienced in drainage and re-grading issues.

I second gutters. If you're not doing gutters, I'd install a gravel filled French drain trench with river pebbles on top with no dirt, going out further than the rain lands as it comes off the roof during a heavy rain. Designed to carry the water away from the structure. No matter what without gutters you're going to have a lot of water splashing up on your siding so I'd go with something that won't rot. Even with gutters, I wouldn't want any non-pressure treated wood that close to the soil, that is just an invitation to termites and rot.

Back