Gas water heater won't light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I turned off the gas supply to the side of the tank a few days ago. I haven't been able to get the pilot lit since I turned it back on. I follow the instructions that are on the tank.

If it were a thermocouple problem, then wouldn't the gas at least light for 1 second? I don't understand how the gas flow could suddenly have become interrupted.

I have a gas furnace that works just fine.

Attachments

• 0407180148.jpg
    0407180148.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2
I turned off the gas supply to the side of the tank a few days ago. I haven't been able to get the pilot lit since I turned it back on. I follow the instructions that are on the tank.

If it were a thermocouple problem, then wouldn't the gas at least light for 1 second? I don't understand how the gas flow could suddenly have become interrupted.

I have a gas furnace that works just fine.
The thermocouple has nothing to do with the ability to light the pilot. Once the pilot is lit, the thermocouple generates a small amount of electricity to tell the gas valve that it can continue to send gas to the pilot. If yours will not light, either you have air in the line that needs to be purged, or your gas valve is bad. If there is a capped drip leg, loosen that cap until you smell gas, tighten it, and then try to light the pilot. Also, make sure your gas valve is on.

The thermocouple has nothing to do with the ability to light the pilot. Once the pilot is lit, the thermocouple generates a small amount of electricity to tell the gas valve that it can continue to send gas to the pilot. If yours will not light, either you have air in the line that needs to be purged, or your gas valve is bad. If there is a capped drip leg, loosen that cap until you smell gas, tighten it, and then try to light the pilot. Also, make sure your gas valve is on.

Got it lit. Thanks.

Back