GE Profile PB975SP3SS not heating (possibly after power outage), lights on

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
I have a GE Profile PB975SP3SS electric oven that stopped working. The control panel and lights work but neither the stovetop nor the two ovens heat up. There might have been a power outage over the weekend since the clock is behind by a couple of hours. I switched the breaker fuse off and on but that did not help. What can be wrong? Does this oven have a central fuse? Easy fix or should I start looking for a new oven? Thank you!

Turns out I needed a bit more patience: switched the breaker off again, but this time waited for about a minute before switching it back on. The oven is working again!

When the breaker tripped it goes to an unlatched status which means the handle is in neither the On nor the Off position. With most breakers you have to turn the breaker all the way to OFF prior to trying to reset it to on so as to reengage the handle with the internal mechanism. As a condition of their electrical listing test breakers are required to "trip free." That means that the breaker has to trip even if the handle is held in place by a breaker lock or similar device. That is why the handle disengages from the internal mechanism when the breaker trips. It was not the waiting which caused the breaker to reset. It was the turning it OFF then ON which reengaged the handle to the mechanism so that it reset. All is well that ends well.

--
Tom Horne

Latest posts

Back